Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New-Construction Window Recommendations

Posted by yeonandjamie (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 23:07

I'm currently looking at getting new windows for a 35 year old house and doing a full frame replacement instead of just the insert replacements. I'd love a recommendation as to a good, new-construction, vinyl window.

From what I've gathered, the following vinyl replacement window manufacturers are considered to be good:
Okna, Gorrell, Polaris, Sunrise and Simonton

Is the same true for new-construction vinyl windows?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New-Construction Window Recommendations

I take it you are removing the siding at the same time?

The only option to put in a new construction window (i.e. nailing flange) is to remove the siding or exterior trim board (ex. 1x4 flat trim board) to provide access to install a nailing flange equip window.

That list of manufacturers that you have is pretty solid and they all have nailing flange equip windows.

o

Okna, Polaris, Gorell, and Sunrise are usually the brands experienced pro's will recommend..so yes, you are on the right track. I wouldn't quite put simonton up there with the others though.

o

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad I'm looking into the recommended brands. A few more questions:

Do you know if Okna only manufactures 1 type of new construction window? (I just tried going on their site but it seems to be down or has expired.)

I thought that Gorell was manufactured in western Pa but I had a sales guy (he doesn't carry Gorell) try to tell me the other day that Gorell was based out of Colorado and that they were no longer going to be offered east of the Mississippi River in a few weeks time. I was surprised by this and didn't contradict him as I wasn't sure of the facts but looking at their site, it looks to be untrue. Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help.

o

You can get the Okna 500 in a new construction as well as their casement and any of their windows can be retrofit with a clip in fin.

o

Thanks windowsonwashington. Do you know if the retrofits are as good? One salesman told me retrofits are a little inferior in quality.

Also, which Okna window would you recommend and why?

o

Retrofits, if installed with a nailing flange, are just as good.

The nailing flange is part of the moisture management of the opening and does provide some additional structure against racking in the opening.

The 500 can be ordered with an integrated J-channel/nailing flange.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here