Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yeonandjamie

New-Construction Window Recommendations

yeonandjamie
12 years ago

I'm currently looking at getting new windows for a 35 year old house and doing a full frame replacement instead of just the insert replacements. I'd love a recommendation as to a good, new-construction, vinyl window.

From what I've gathered, the following vinyl replacement window manufacturers are considered to be good:

Okna, Gorrell, Polaris, Sunrise and Simonton

Is the same true for new-construction vinyl windows?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

I take it you are removing the siding at the same time?

The only option to put in a new construction window (i.e. nailing flange) is to remove the siding or exterior trim board (ex. 1x4 flat trim board) to provide access to install a nailing flange equip window.

That list of manufacturers that you have is pretty solid and they all have nailing flange equip windows.

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

Okna, Polaris, Gorell, and Sunrise are usually the brands experienced pro's will recommend..so yes, you are on the right track. I wouldn't quite put simonton up there with the others though.

• yeonandjamie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad I'm looking into the recommended brands. A few more questions:

Do you know if Okna only manufactures 1 type of new construction window? (I just tried going on their site but it seems to be down or has expired.)

I thought that Gorell was manufactured in western Pa but I had a sales guy (he doesn't carry Gorell) try to tell me the other day that Gorell was based out of Colorado and that they were no longer going to be offered east of the Mississippi River in a few weeks time. I was surprised by this and didn't contradict him as I wasn't sure of the facts but looking at their site, it looks to be untrue. Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help.

• PRO
    12 years ago

You can get the Okna 500 in a new construction as well as their casement and any of their windows can be retrofit with a clip in fin.

• yeonandjamie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks windowsonwashington. Do you know if the retrofits are as good? One salesman told me retrofits are a little inferior in quality.

Also, which Okna window would you recommend and why?

• PRO
    12 years ago

Retrofits, if installed with a nailing flange, are just as good.

The nailing flange is part of the moisture management of the opening and does provide some additional structure against racking in the opening.

The 500 can be ordered with an integrated J-channel/nailing flange.