Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skylight for bathroom, operable

Posted by myrtle_59 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 22:55

We have 8 skylights in the house already. I want to put one in the bath when remodel. One contractor suggested i get an operable one so it doesnt heat up the small room. The existing skylights are not in small rooms.

I would be in favor of this if i had complete confidence that they would not fail - open. I live in a rainy climate where it gets cold and snowy in the winter.

Te bath is n the shady side of the house but it is a very small room. Do you think an inoperablemne would heat up,the room? There are no wondows in the bath.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skylight for bathroom, operable

Velux makes an electric unit, albeit not cheap, that has a rain sensor on it.

o

Do you have any experience with its reliability? If it failed open it would be a nightmare. Is it wired? Ie would it work id the electric was off?

o

I'd be more worried if it failed to close.
Velux is a very good company. No hesitation buying their product.
With no windows in the bathroom consider also condensation in colder weather from a long shower or bath. I had a guy tell me once that their skylight "never leaked when it rains". It wasn't leaking, it was condensing.

o

As you mention, the room is in a shady side. Do you think the skylights will lighten the room as you want it to be lighted? If not, don't bother. You must buy double glazed skylights to minimize the heat gain and screen UV rays. I suggest that you install exhaust fan for your bathroom for ventilation purposes. Operable skylight wouldn't solve the heating problem, ventilation does.

Here is a link that might be useful: For options, consider tubular skylights

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here