Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starman314

Windows and Doors

starman314
9 years ago

Hi all,
We are trying to decide on the window and door package for our new house. Almost all of the window are casements and most of the doors are french doors.

We definitely want clad windows and are looking for something high-quality that won't fall apart in 10-15 years.

Here are the quotes we've received so far:

Marvin Ultimate - $172k
Kolbe Ultra - $157k
Jeld-Wen Siteline EX - $126k
Hurd Aluminum Clad - $124k
Windsor Pinnacle - $110k

Our builder has suggested we go with Windsor due to the pricing and powder coat exterior finish. Our build is cost-plus, so there's no incentive for the builder to choose the cheapest window package.

We just want something high-quality at a fair price. Any thoughts on which of the above options might be best?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• millworkman
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

After Marvin & Kolbe, your list falls off the planet in terms of quality. Both Marvin & Kolbe use Kynar paint which is really just as good as powder coat and in an extruded wood clad window you will not find one any better in a production window than Marvin or Kolbe.There is a very good reason the others are less expensive......

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

+1

It is obviously a home of some worth with that window schedule.

Where are you building it?

In that magnitude of home, I would stay with the big two.

• starman314
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning toward Marvin or Kolbe as well, though not sure which one. Any input you can provide on the differences between the two would definitely be helpful.

We are building in the DC area.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

If you are in the DC area you might think about contacting Windows on Washington. I know that he does new construction take-off's and offers some of the higher end window choices in every material.
    You won't find a more knowledgable guy.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

+1 on HomeSealed's advice. WoW is a stand up guy and will not steer you wrong.

• WayneFromWindsor
    9 years ago

Hello Starman314,

Your forum thread was brought to my attention, so with a desire to contribute to a fair and balanced conversation, I felt compelled to respond.

I know that it can be a tough decision weighing the opinions of your builder, forum members, not to mention costs. Since the Windsor name isn’t as widely known as some of our larger competitors, let me tell you a little about us for the record...

Windsor Windows & Doors is known in the industry as having strong relationships with our distributors, because we produce products of excellent quality and strive to be easy to do business with. Our products have been installed in some of the most magnificent homes throughout North America.

We are a mid-sized company, in business since 1946, with manufacturing plants in West Des Moines, Iowa and Monroe, North Carolina. Our parent company is Woodgrain Millwork, a family-owned business and the largest manufacturer of mouldings and interior doors in the United States. Because of our relationship with Woodgrain, we are able to offer one of the best values in the industry. We have exceptional employees that take great pride in their work.

Windsor offers many of the same product features as the higher priced competitors. Our products are tested to the same standards and meet the same certifications and Energy Star guidelines. Some of our specific benefits include:

• Durable extruded aluminum cladding as opposed to roll-form aluminum cladding that is offered by many of our competitors. (Noted: Marvin Ultimate and Kolbe Ultra are extruded aluminum as well.)

• We offer 42 colors in our aluminum cladding and can even color-match to the shade of your choice for an up-charge.

• Our durable powder coat paint is offered in the AAMA 2604 finish as standard and carries a 20-year warranty on the finish. If your project is located in an area that experiences extremely severe weather conditions, you have the option of upgrading to the AAMA 2605 finish, which carries a 30-year warranty on the finish.

• Cardinal’s LoE-366 glass is our standard glazing. This revolutionary, energy-efficient glazing will minimize your utility costs and help keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

• Windsor offers one of the most competitive warranties in the business. Our Pinnacle product with the 2604 finish offers a 20-year warranty on the finish and a 10-year warranty on the parts and pieces. If you upgrade to our 2605 finish, the warranty is extended to 30 years on the finish.

• Our wood windows are available in three distinctive wood species... Pine, Natural Alder or Fir. Each of these interior options offers a unique grain that is beautiful when stained. Or if you prefer painted interior trim, our pine windows may be ordered primed or with a painted white pre-finish interior.

For more information, I encourage you to visit our website at windsorwindows.com and take a look under the Resources tab. There you will find literature PDFs and case studies that demonstrate a wide range of projects that use Windsor products.

Best of luck on your project!