Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5 wide window

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 31, 10 at 22:40

1975 house. 2x4 walls. insulated. we have living room on south side of house. gets lots of sun. we have a 4x10 window that has 5 sections. double pane but i think it has poor R value. wife says we cannot make opening smaller. new window has to be 10'. i hate the large amount of wood. so i was thinking 2x6x2. would a very well built, properly installed window make the room seem any warmer? or is that too much glass?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5 wide window

Your post wasn't very clear. That is probably why no one responded but I will try to help. If 2x6x2 means you are going to break the ten feet of window into a mulled window of two foot flankers and a six foot picture window, that is very common. As for your question about making the room warmer, an upgrade to low e IG will help immensely. Being that the window is on the southside, you may also think about passive solar with the window as long as you have some protection (shade trees or large over hang)in the warmer months. Cardinal's 179 is excellent for that. If you don't have any protection, I would recommend the 366 product. Hope this helps.

o

house is minimally insulated. 2x4 walls and 2x6 rafters overhead with R-19. cannot get into overhead space unless i got thru roof vent. no closet roof access on this end of house. multi-level. so the house shell has weak insulation. will installing a better R value window with better infiltration specs improve the rooms heat loss? IG, is the a gas filled term?

o

Means Insulated Glass, and a better R value in a window with an poor insulated wall is kind of like putting a storm door on a screened in porch.....Not going to do much!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here