Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior door: wood or fiberglass?

Posted by barbnstella (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 18, 09 at 22:34

I need to replace my front door in my 1940s house. The current (likely original) door is wood and rotted at the bottom which makes for a large gap that is very drafty. Summers are humid and winters damp; but the door is now protected by a non-winterized, but enclosed, porch. I'd love to keep with the wood (like the orginal one), but I wonder about heating/cooling efficiency. Is fiberglass better? Also I read another entry here that mentioned how tough it can be to try to install a fiberglass or metal door into a frame originally built for wood.

Any insights?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior door: wood or fiberglass?

do not try to install any door into an existing frame. you will be sorry. if the door is rotted, the frame can't be too good. When you buy a door, 99% come with a frame. Pull your interior trim off and the exterior brickmold. Then use a sawzall to cut any nails or screws holding the frame to the studs.

The door should now easily be removed. When you get a new door be sure to specify whether you have 2x4 or 2x6 walls. By a door with a "frame saver" or other product to insure the door frame does not rot out.

If you have hot, humid or damp condtions I would definitly not get a wooden door. There are some nice fiberglass doors that look really good in wood grain. You will pay more for a fir grain look than a dated oak grain look but it is worth it.

Go to a lumber yard and ask about a Thermatru, or other professional product.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here