Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyshadowwalker_gw

Window Woes somethings wrong with the way window came in or am I

ladyshadowwalker
12 years ago

I ordered a Trimline Custom Casement 37.5 x 37.5. ($500.00 at windowrama) to replace my old double awning window.

I'm going to call to tomorrow and hope for some feedback and reassurance that I'm being reasonable in my complaints.

Installation was actually the easy part - its in and perfectly square diagonals measure the same and its perfectly level.

1)It looks like some flange or something is missing from the outside. In the showroom all the windows had a nice finished trim on the outside. The sales man brought out the window and set it so we were looking at the inside. Which looks great When we got it turned over at home the old windows were already out so nothing to do but install it , I expected some parts to be with it screws, the out side trim ,instructions, something but only the handle came with it. Isn't there supposed to be something that slots in that track?

2) It didn't close even before we put it in - i thought it was b/c it wasn't sitting level on the floor. took the two hooks off that catch in the locking mechanism and it closed perfectly. marked the edges of the hook and saw they are installed too low to slide over the roller in the locking mechanism. The one was just slightly off and has been ground down so I can lock the window the other is about 1/2" off

3) one of the removal tabs came off the screen as soon as I pulled on it , not hard mind you i've had these screens before and know not to yank on them.

ANy advice will be appreciated!

Comments (4)

• millworkman
    12 years ago

On an aluminum clad exterior window that in the normal way for the frame to be. It has that channel to snap in accessories like different style trim pieces or mullion clips if 2 or more windows are to be attached. As far as any other issues with the window I have no idea what the problem would be from here but I would be on the phone to my supplier.

• ladyshadowwalker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks I have been and they sending someone out from windowrama to fix the screen and see why it won't close with the latches in place. If the window was made wrong then a trimline rep will come out.

Maybe that is how they come but why did every window I was shown look like the picture below more or less? If I was getting something different then the display model I should have been told. I asked " will my window look like this one from the outside?" We were told yes. If trim was available no problem but I was on the phone with the trimline rep who said they don't make trim to fit in that channel he said that installaters bend aluminum or get vinyl trim and rip it to fit in. I told the salesman before I ordered that my window was already capped and I didn't want to have to bend aluminum trim.
    this is what I expected and what was in the showroom more or less: I'm getting really frustrated now

• millworkman
    12 years ago

I cannot speak for the window you have posted this picture of nor for Trimline specifically but all the Aluminum Clad Wood Windows I have sold over the years had this channel and it was essentially an accessory channel. Why Trimline has nothing in the way of trim or accessories is beyond me as I never sold their products. On this picture I cannot tell if the channel is there and covered up or not. Again I would speak to the supplier.

• ladyshadowwalker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your reply and helpful info. It would have been fine with me if the accessory trim came seperate, at first I thought it was in the packaging, I just wanted what I was shown on the showroom floor. I figured some assembly was going to be required . I've spoken both to windowrama and the manufactorer rep and they tell me nothing is available from trimline. I'm trying to get some money off the window so I can purchase or have the trim made since its a custom size. . Do you know where I can purchase some trim that will fit ? Or any other ideas as how I can add the finishing trim?