Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lees22

Sunrise windows

lees22
12 years ago

I'm looking at sunrise and a few other higher end names. However,I have a question on the install. The install is being done from the inside which is fine. The contractor said the new windows have a full perimeter foam wrap and the installer said it's very difficult to inject foam when their is a foam wrap on the window..is this true? If not, how cam foam be injected if there is a foam wrap? I guess he means there is not enough depth for the foam?

Comments (18)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

The preferred method IMO is to use a foam gun with a very narrow, flat tip to apply the foam. Nothing wrong per se with ordering the windows very tight and then using the factory supplied foam wrap, it's just that injecting closed cell foam such as Hilti is a better way to go. OTOH, you want your installer to use what method he's most familiar with.

• lees22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

When you say flat tip, isbthat an attatchment sold specifically for a gun? If not, what would they use?
    Also, even if a flat tip is used, wontbthe foam come out because the wrap prevents it from going in deep enough and the foam comes out putting pressure on the caulk?

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Sorry, meant to say tapered. You don't use foam insulation in addition to the foam wrap. You use it in place of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foam gun

• lees22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sky
    If the window comes with foam wrap, foam cannot be injected? So it's hard to have both ? Should I ask not to have foam attached to window when ordered?
    My installer, potential installer said the foam is injected deep so when there is already foam wrap, the foam cannot go in deep enough and just comes out..is this true?
    I am in Virginia..

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

There's really no point in using both. I would opt for spray foam over the foam wrap from Sunrise.

• lees22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok..so I would contact a sunrise dealer and have him order thev window with no foam wrap?
    Who do companies offer foam wrap sky if foam inject is better? Are there instansescwhere a foamnwrap onnwindow is better?

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Foam wrap is used in lui of stuffing fiberglass etc, which some companies still insist on using. In order of preference it would be 1. Spray foam, 2. Foam wrap, 3. Newspaper 4.Fiberglass, 5. Nothing.

Keep in mind that installation of windows is critical to your satisfaction. A great window like Sunrise will only be as good as the quality of the install.

You could Google "Sunrise Windows" and then your geographic area.

• lees22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will sky, thanks..so order window without foam wrap?

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

As long as your installer is going to use foam. Do you know waht glass package you will need?

• lees22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going to contact a dealer and have him show me..I was told I would want a solar heat gain of around .24- .29 on double pane and a U factor under .30' .

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

That's what I would recommend here in NoVa.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

Foam is not an absolute must as sky mentioned as long as they get the opening air tight.

Don't have your installer learn to use foam on your project. You may not like the results.

Depending on the gap, foam wrap, foam injection, or backer rod and caulk all work.

• lees22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All of those options separately , not together?

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Correct one or the other in the order I gave earlier.

• lees22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had a guy pushing something called alpha glass and how it was the same glass astronauts use in outer spacer and how I had to be approved in order to be allowed to use it in my home. Almost implying there was a security clearance with NASA..my wife almost rolled over laughing as did I.
    The salesman kept referring to " the molecular level" when talking about this glass.
    He said if we sign a contract that night, we would be there " environmental friendly family of the year" . Of course I didn't fall for that.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Yeah, I guess the old "Model Home" pitch the Tin Men in the 1950's and 1960"s used is about due for some updating.

Astronaut Glass, that's a good one!

• lees22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Since a space ship is much closer to the sun than being on earth., it's important to have alpha glass..
    That was his pitch.
    He did mention the model home. Evidently, alpha glass was developed by the CIA...this guy was a real character.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

I would definitely suggest entertaining another quote from another vendor.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks