Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Patio Doors

Posted by cmanc (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 22:03

I am looking at replacing 3 sliding pation doors with new hinged doors. Have been looking at options from Milgard Wood Clad, Pella Architect and Jeld-Wen Siteline. Milgard came out most expensive and Jeld-Wen the cheapest and they ranged from $2k-$3k/door for a 6'0x6'8.

Was talking to a guy at one of the lumber yards and he told me about Simpson exterior French doors with their water barrier and ultrablock options. They priced up around $1k for a 6'0x6'8. They have the designs/options that I'm looking for so seem like a good alternative. I know a little about Simpson from interior/exterior doors they are in my current house and they seem farily well respected.

The doors will all be somewhat protected from the elements with 2 sets of doors covered by an outdoor porch and one set of doors in the basement protected by a deck. The house is in Eastern WA so drier climate but not considered an extreme hot or cold climate.

Wondering whether any of the experts here have any experiences or can help educate me on the significant price delta between this Simpson option and the major windows/door companies. Any advice appreciated - thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Patio Doors

Simpson makes doors not "door systems". They will either be hanging them in a frame themselves or purchasing them prehung. I like Simpson doors but for a patio door, not so much. A patio door system is an engineered weatherstripped system that has been tested as a system ordinarily. That being said I personally would not use nor recommend to anyone else that they use either Pella or Jeldwen anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here