Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikkidan_gw

Anderson...100, 200, 400, A-Series...whats the difference?

nikkidan
12 years ago

We are considering Anderson casement windows for our new home. We know nothing about windows! Anderson as 4 different series of windows....100, 200, 400, and A-Series. Whats the difference? What makes one better than the other? Would be nice to find a list that compares the different series, but I can't find anything like that.

Are they built different? Made of different products? I don't want our builder to just go order casements in the sizes we need, and just get what is cheapest just to save a buck...I want to figure out what is best for us, but having a hard time figuring out how to do that.

Any info you can give me is greatly appreciated!

Comments (14)

• millworkman
    12 years ago

100 Series is a builders grade "fibrex unit" made to compete with vinyl. 200 series is the old Builders Select which was bare bones, limited sizes, limited options vinyl clad wood to compete with builders grade wood windows. 400 series is the base line units, vinyl clad wood in several colors and standard sizing and most options. A series is the premium line, more color options, custom sizes and other premium options. This is only a basic overview as I would have needed to write a book to encompass everything. That being said while the 400 and A series are solid products you can do much better in a wood or wood clad products without spending a ton of more money.

• nikkidan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So A Series and 400 are the better quality and probably cost more than 100 or 400? Or am I mistaking your information?

If they cost more because of quality thats fine, but if they cost more because there are more custom options, then that isn't necessary.

Are you saying A series and 400 aren't worth it...(do much better)? What would be better?

Is vinyl better than wood or wood clad? Pretty sure we want white exterior, white or oak interior, prairie grille, casement, Low E4 glass, and split arm operators (for easier cleaning from inside). Anything else we should consider? And what series window might be best for us with the options we want or should have?

Sorry I'm "window stupid"...and BTW we are in Northern MN, gets pretty cold here.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

OK, 400 series was the base line they have had for years, they added the 200 series (Builders Select,they were made in white only, with a prefinished white interior in limited basic sizes and limited grid options. The 100 series was added to compete with the cheap new construction vinyl again very limited options. "A" series is the their semi custom architectural product with custom sizing, the different interior wood and finish options, more grid options, hardware options,etc. Prices wise they would be form most to least A Series, 400 Series, 200 Series and then 100 Series. I used to sell Andersen many moons ago so I may be a little off in my descriptions but should be pretty close. That being said again Andersen is a decent solid product, I do believe for approx the same amount of money as the 400 or A series you can get a better Wood or Wood Clad product.

• nikkidan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you....we are now looking also into Marvin Integrity Wood Ultrex. Getting estimates on those and Anderson 400. Wish us luck!

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Integrity by Marvin would be my preferred choice!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

+1 on the Integrity.

• Eric Solsrud
    7 years ago

The info that you are getting on Andersen windows is very out of date, just go with the 200 series, they made many improvements in the last 5 years, best bang for your buck

• millworkman
    7 years ago

The post you dug up for your tidbit of info is from 2011.

• BoomerSooner
    7 years ago

Has anyone recently compared or used the Andersen 100 or 200 series windows? Since I do not care about double hung or need a painted wood interior, we initially decided on the 100 series. After some time I am starting to questions my decision and thankfully still have time before we need to place the order. The 100 series should be a little cheaper than the 200 series, but I guess it boils down to Fibrex which claims to be the best blend of wood and vinyl verses wood interior and vinyl exterior in the 200 and 400 series. Andersen claims Fibrex is more stiff than vinyl, has half the thermal expansion of vinyl and has nearly the same thermal conductivity as vinyl. Someone with knowledge please inform me of the downsides to the 100 series.

http://www.andersenwindows.com/-/media/aw/files/brochures/product-guide-100-series-window-door-9045491.pdf

• BoomerSooner
    7 years ago

Thank you for the info. Based on their ratings, the single hung 100 series I was quoted has a 0.29 U-Factor, 0.19 SHGC and 0.43 VT. The 200 series double hung features a U-Factor: 0.30, SHGC: 0.19 and VT: 0.44. The 400 series double hung features a U-Factor: 0.30, SHGC: 0.19 and VT: 0.43. It seems that they're all about the same with the 100 series having a slight advantage probably since it's only a single hung.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    7 years ago

Where are you located BJ? I ask because the ratings that will be ideal for your home is based on region. In the northern region for example, Energy Star is now a u value of .27 or lower (lower is better) with a small exception for high solar gain windows. .29-.30 are not good ratings. The shgc and vt are a dark unit that will perform best in a warm sunny climate. If that's where you are, then it is no concern... All that being said, my comments regarding the performance ratings were referencing that product vs good quality vinyl units as opposed to other units from the same manufacturer. A premium vinyl window will have a general rating profile that looks something like this:

U value: .25-.27 (double pane)

SHGC : .25+ (for cooler regions)

CR: 60+

AI: .05 or lower give or take

DP: 50+ with non-metallic reinforcement (or none)

• BoomerSooner
    7 years ago

I am in Oklahoma (south-central).

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    7 years ago

In that case those ratings are not as objectionable as they would be had you said Minnesota or something. Check out the Energy Star requirements for your region to make sure that a product that you are considering meets them. I still strongly advocate looking at all of those ratings mentioned above, but again, they will look slightly different cased on your location. A lower u value is still a good thing, its just that the lower shgc to go with it is not a detriment for you.