Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salsrod

How to know a good window wrap from a poor wrap?

salsrod
11 years ago

How can I tell a good window wrap job from a poor one? Is thin aluminum acceptable? Should there be air space between the old wood and the aluminum, and if so how much? Should it be caulked at the edge that meets the brick? Caulk at the corner seams? Where should nails be placed? Anything else I didn't think of?

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

That is a pretty broad based question.

There are no requirements for an air space behind the cladding and it would normally be sealed at the junction of cladding to brick.

It does not need to be sealed at the corners.

Nails are out of necessity and depend on the window details, size, and capping style.

• salsrod
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, normally it is sealed at the junction of cladding to the brick. So, if an installer doesn't do that is it wrong?

Also, if you can take your finger and press in aluminum somewhat, does that mean there is too much space, or just the aluminum is thin? Or is vinyl covered aluminum preferably.

Everybody doesn't seem impressed with Window World's windows, but I liked their wrapping best so far, as it just seemed clean, sealed, and I think was vinyl covered.

Or am I just being picky?

• PRO
    11 years ago

It is normally sealed at that junction. Can't say for certain if it being unsealed is wrong without seeing it.

Most capping will not be tight to the trim and will have some air behind it as you describe.

I don't prefer the vinyl trim coil stock but that is a personal preference.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

The capping job has nothing to do with the windows and everything to do with the specific installer's skill level.
    As WoW said, it is really difficult to answer those questions as every home is different, and the areas that require caulk will vary by installer, method, and home. For instance, often times installers will back-caulk some trim so you don;t even see a bead. Nails should be used sparingly and hidden when possible.
    On the trim types, the PVC coated aluminum is a nice product and offers a more "rigid" feel. The only complaint that I see with it is that the texture can retain dirt more easily than the smooth trim coil.

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

No wrap with coil stock is a good wrap. Junk. Maybe not now, but in the future....

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I guess metal flashing and wood/aluminum windows must be "junk" as well... Please elaborate.

Here is a link that might be useful: bad call

• PRO
    11 years ago

Is all the rake and fascia wrapping junk took?

Is another cladding better? Are clad windows bad as well?

• salsrod
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, Jumpilotmdm. What makes coil stock junk? Is it because it's 'old school'? Not necessarily a reason not to use it. I just want it to look clean and keep the water from getting to wood, therefore am asking what to look for in order to make sure I get that.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

Some feel that wrapping with aluminum will eventually lead to rotted wood and you won't notice it untill it's to late because the damage is hidden.Pictures of the wrap before they caulk will often reveal the quality.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert