Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renoaddict_gw

Why should I replace my windows?

renoaddict
13 years ago

I am planning a big renovation on the main level of my 30-year-old home. It will include the kitchen, stairs, rails, floors and doors. We will probably skim-coat all the walls and ceiling.

I'm trying to figure out if I should replace the 3 windows. All are double-paned aluminum windows, probably builder-grade. One fogs occasionally. I do want the windows to be trimmed out, which would involve tearing out the sill and probably the drywall inside the openings. I have no complaints about energy efficiency or noise, but my living room furniture has faded and will probably be replaced as part of the renovation. The windows face southwest.

If I replace the 3 windows, it will cost about $2,000. I chose Pella 850 because they are maintenance free on the outside. (Vinyl feels like a downgrade and I do not want to maintain wood on the exterior.)

I feel that if I am going to replace the windows at all (ever), I should do it before the walls are redone and the kitchen backsplash is done. That means I have to spend that money at the beginning of my renovation, even though that is the least important part of the renovation. I do plan to stay in this house indefinitely.

What would you advise?

Comments (2)