Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lil_tee

Advice on patio and entry door quotes

Teri
12 years ago

This is in conjunction with my window quote post, but I thought I'd do them separately to hopefully make things easier. Again, I think any of the installation companies would do a good job, so it seems like it comes down to the doors and prices. Same thing here... Are there any red flags with any of these quotes? Any definite nos? Any clear standouts?

Patio door

• Sunrise - $2265 (nice door, but I don't think I want to pay that much considering the others seem perfectly good too)

• Vytex Signature - $1594

• Alside Excalibur 6100 - $918

• Alside 6100 - $1175

• Simonton Prism Platinum - $1516

• Simonton Generations - $1590

Entry door

Is there any advantage to the steel door over the fiberglass doors?

• Therma-Tru Smooth-Star Fiberglass 1/2 lite - $1269 (I have no idea why this one is so much more than the other two Therma-Tru doors!)

• Therma-Tru Smooth-Star Fiberglass 1/2 lite - $769

• Therma-Tru Smooth-Star Fiberglass 1/2 lite (flush glazed) - $725

• Pro Via Heritage Fiberglass 1/2 lite - $1383 (I think this only comes in woodgrain though and I want a smooth finish)

• Pro Via Legacy Steel 1/2 lite - $859

Thanks so much in advance!!

Comments (11)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I doubt all of those are installed prices.

• Teri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for responding, skydawggy! I checked all of the quotes and the prices do include installation.
    (Although...the two Simonton patio doors and the Pro Via steel door are quotes from the same company. The sales guy misquoted the prices and the owner said he'd honor them. Maybe those were the ones that made you question?)

Any opinion on the doors and deals?

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Provia is the better door. Are these based on a retro-fit or a full frame tear-out? Does the price include cladding the exterior or replacing the interior molding?

• Teri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The quotes are for a full frame replacement. No on the cladding and yes on replacing the interior molding (which I will paint).

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

the sunrise is a better patio door by far and thats actually a very good price. vytex is ok, not sure if thats their top of line. simontons are ok as well.
    excalibur is complete garbage and i would not even consider that or the others unless you plan on replacing them in a few years which i would be more than happy to do.
    the provia is the best option, therma tru make a below grade door in my opinion. there is a reason why some of your pricing is so cheap. i would be suspect about installation as well with that pricing. ive never seen someone do a job for free.

• Teri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks skydawggy and mmarse1!! I'll go with the pro via entry door and weigh my options between the simonton and sunrise patio doors.

thanks so much for your time and input!

• dutseal
    10 years ago

Hi lil_tee:

Which patio door did you finally choose and how do you like it...? If you don't mind sharing the price that would be great..thanks. I am planning to install patio doors in my house soon.

• Teri
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi dutseal,

I went with the Simonton Generations for $1590 and am very pleased with the door. It was three years ago, so I'm not sure how accurate that price would be today.

Good luck!!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

lil_tee,

Thanks for the follow up.

Helps drive accuracy on the board and I appreciate it.

• Teri
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for saying so, windowsonwashington! I got so much great help from you guys when I was shopping for windows and doors, so I'm happy to return the favor when I can. :-)

• dutseal
    10 years ago

Hi lil_tee:

Thanks for replying. I am pretty sure prices have gone up since then :) however I have been calling a few places and they don't seem to eager to give out quotes...I did it over the telephone though, maybe that's why. I'm in Houston, Texas, btw. Thanks and I'm glad you like your Simonton. I think I am sticking to buying Simonton Hinged Patio doors too.