Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiberglass vs. Vinyl

Posted by Elle1234 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 20:03

Beyond the strength and pricing that make Fiberglass different from Vinyl, are there other upkeep elements that come into play?

Will I need to repaint the exterior of the Fiberglass windows?
Are there other concerns for using one vs. the other?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiberglass vs. Vinyl

when comparing. high quality vinyl to fiberglass the difference would be performance. Higher end vinyl are better performers both structuraly and from an energy efficiency perspective. many customers dont realize this because they are used to seeing the lower end vinyl brands sold at home improvement stores.
that being said, InLine make a very nice fiberglass window and i believe its a better performer than the marvin.
higher end vinyl such as Okna / HiMark, Sunrise, and Soft lite are sold through a select network of dealers.

o

Fiberglass offers the flexibility to paint the interior, whereas vinyl does not. The "strength" factor as well as the expansion issue are dramatically overstated by those pushing fiberglass products.
Some fiberglass windows are very nice (particularly those made in Canada like Inline that have excellent performance ratings). Dollar for dollar, there are some pros and cons to each when looking the higher end choices in each respective material, however I find it very difficult to justify a price premium either way. IMO, the extra $$$ that fiberglass typically costs is due to nothing more than the fact that it is somewhat of a "niche" product. The look and performance of a top FG product vs a top vinyl product will be very comparable.

o

+1 to the other feedback you have gotten.

The benefit to fiberglass is largely the look and construction as well as the greater array of options.

No discernible performance advantage on paper.

Theoretically they could require paint but the finishes are supposed to last for 20+ years on paper.

o

Our fiberglass windows (casement style) have much thinner mullions then our similar sized (high end vinyl). If you are going for casements, check out how thick the mullions are on the vinyl windows as compared to fiberglass. I understand from these boards some vinyl windows have slimmer mullions than others.

Good luck with your research.

Carol

o

Thanks for your help eveyrone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here