Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aghalub

Any advice: "Triple Glazing" or "Soundproofing Windows"

Aghalub
9 years ago

I am looking for any advice on deciding what type of window is right for my situation.

My situation: I live quite far from a major road. However, my house is on top of a small hill and so the road noise is quite noticeable around my house. This is an old bungalow. The exterior is stucco. Current windows are double pane and were replaced in 2010. Problem is with the bedroom. It has three windows and a sliding door. The windows are separate but are arranged like a bay window. They are facing the distant road. When the windows are closed the noise is weak. I am the only one in my family that is sensitive to it. During the morning rush hour it gets so bad that I cannot sleep past 5:30 am. Using a sound meter app on my cellphone, I measured about 35 db when windows are closed and about 65 db when opened one of them. I have triple pane windows from the same company in my living room. The living room is very quite even to my ears. However, the living room and bedroom are on different side of the house even though they both face the road.

In the first step, I want to do something about the windows as I think they are the main source of the problem.

I have a few options:

(1) Install Soundproofing Windows over the existing windows. I live in Canada and so the windows have to come from the US. Have obtained a quote from a distributor for these windows. It costs me about $5000 CAD and I have to install the windows myself (and take care of any defects, returns, etc). The obvious disadvantage is the extra set of windows that have to be opened and closed. Not sure how they look when installed.

(2) Replace the windows with triple pane windows, have one pane as laminated glass. A local company can do this. They have a good reputation for high quality windows. This will cost me $10,000 CAD. The obvious disadvantage is the cost, and I am not sure about the end result. The company does not have any STC rating for their windows.

(3) Change the sealed units of my existing windows to replace one pane with laminated glass. Someone is willing to do this for $3,000 CAD. The obvious disadvantage is that they have to reduce the spacing between the panes to accommodate ticker laminated glass (existing space is 1/2", with laminated glass it will be 1/4"). So, the end result is not clear in this case either as I read that the air space between the glass panes is very important.

I am wondering what people think about my options. These are relatively costly options for me.

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

1. Your call. Not sure I would go this route until you have exhausted others.

2. Not sure I would want a triple pane with with laminated glass unless they were absolutely sure the window could deal with the weight long term.

3. Most folks get enough of the performance they are looking for out of a double pane window with a laminated lite.

Have you considered some heavy drapes of blinds? A set of sleeping shades with some heavy fabric should help dampen the noise coming through the windows.

• Aghalub
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding (3): What would be the best configuration for the window, e.g., 6-mm laminated glass + 1/2" airspace + 3-mm glass?

> Have you considered some heavy drapes of blinds? A set of > sleeping shades with some heavy fabric should help dampen > the noise coming through the windows.

I have installed so-called "noise blocking" curtains but they do not seem to have any effect. I read in several places that such curtains do not have enough mass to block noise.

• PRO
    9 years ago

The 1/2 airspace is going to be the limiting factor in that assembly.

6mm laminated glass and 3mm annealed is good.

Have you considered magnetic or interior storms? Might be the cheaper option.

• Aghalub
    Original Author
    9 years ago

> Have you considered magnetic or interior storms? Might be the cheaper option.

Not yet, but am thinking about a similar option: How about if I just buy a layer of 6mm laminated glass and attached it inside my window frames using proper sealant? Keep in mind that my windows are less than 4 years old and have good frames/sealed units.

For some of my windows, there is a nice space much wider than 6mm inside their frames which is about 1/2" away from the sealed unit. For some of them that open and close, I just have to attach it over the current sealed unit.

Would this work at all?

Has anybody done this before? Please let me know about your experience.

Thanks.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Have never done that.

Everything I have ever done was an operable unit.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

In theory, more mass should help.

• Aghalub
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Talked to a local window company today about their windows for sound control, which are essentially a double pane window with laminated glass. They are a distributor for the following windows:

http://www.vinylbilt.com/lib/pdfs/SSP_Glass.pdf

The salesperson told me that upgrading my exiting windows (double pane windows by Vinylbilt, about 4 years old) with these ones will have marginal effect and will reduce the noise by about 10-15% based on his experience.

Not sure how much I can trust this. I was determined to go this path but now have second thoughts.

Anyone has experience with double pane laminated windows for sound proofing?

I have started reading about soundproofing recently with no prior background. I feel that I know a lot more than every local window company that I have talked to so far, and these guys claim to have been in the business forever!

• PRO
    9 years ago

That is the primary window glazing that we use for sound attenuation.

Our customers seem to love it as a predecessor to the exotics.

Works well.