Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeking Replacement Windows advice in DC/MD area

Posted by Katia123 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 11 at 19:18

I am replacing builder wood windows in 1996 house. I am the first one in the community so it is quite annoying that I already have to do it. Also, love my wood windows and they don't leak or anything but according to my husband wood frames are quite rotten so his request is no wood whatsoever!

Anyway, got the following quotes:

Renewal by Andersen --- $18,556 after 20% discount
4 double hung, 33"/62"
One Huge window, consisting of double hungs, 2 - 29"/73" and 2 - 33"/73", plus 2 transom 33"/12"
1 picture 50"/50"
These are dual color (HOA requirement for exterior colors) canvass(ext.)/white with grid and price includes full frame replacement (some frames are rotten so we want to replace all of them).

Same project with vinyl Vytex Prodigy from another contractor was estimated at $8,925 with what I understand not a full frame replacement but just some repair. Dual color of white/cream. When I asked for full frame the contractor said that it would add $175-250 per window bringing the total to about $11K. Less expensive than Andersen but still a lot for vinyl!!!

Also considered Marvin Infinity but only got quote for one picture window at about $1600 and not clear on the frame - wat the full replacement included or not (was the first estimate - didn't know all the questions then)

Any advice on other comparable products? I would like something better than "cheap vinyl" look but paying $$$$ for andersen, which is still plastic seems too much.

Also, any opinion on Vytex Prodigy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeking Replacement Windows advice in DC/MD area

Prodigy is a decent window. I'd also look at the Okna Starmark. If you want a good quality vinyl look at Sunrise and Softlite.

o
RE: Seeking Replacement Windows advice in DC/MD area

I wouldn't judge the price of Andersen windows based on a quote from Renewal!

Go to the Andersen web site and find a dealer in your area (other than Home Depot) and pay them a visit. They will also be able to recommend a few contractors and will probably carry other manufacturers, have a display area, and be able to show you the differences in features and quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here