Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old house "look" wood windows and cost

Posted by redheadeddaughter (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 18:55

Hi! We are building a new home farmhouse and are finishing up the plans. Right now we have about 48 windows (40 standard sized (whatever that means;)) double hung, and 8 or 9 small square windows. Also 4 sets of french doors with transoms (!).

We will bid this project out, but before we finalized the design and have the construction plans completed, it would be so helpful to have a guesstimate as to the cost savings if we went with a different type of window (vinyl? Fiberglass? SDL ) or should we cut back on the number of windows and install the wood windows we want? I could prob. take out 10 of those windows, and 3 of those french doors, but boy would I miss all the sunlight. Is there really a huge jump in price between wood and all others? Any tips?

I know this is more general than usually posted on the windows forum, but any advice is really appreciated. PS We are not by the coast... Central California type weather and very mild.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old house "look" wood windows and cost

It is not uncommon for vinyl to be 1/2 the cost of a wood window especially if it is white and you include the cost of staining or painting of a wood window.Fiberglass is usually somewhere in between.Vinyl can get expensive if you go with a wood grain interior and painted exterior.The options can make a big difference since they are not priced uniformly between the different materials. Best to start pricing them out and watch out for low quality models.

o

It really depends on the design you want. Aluminum clad and wood windows usually lend themselves more to a higher end look, more options, colors etc. There are some good vinyl options but there's not as many on the west coast. I'd pay attention to the surround area and homes as well. If most homes have wood products you should try to meet those standards.

As far as cost, yes it costs more for aluminum clad, Kolbe and Marvin in my opinion are the best options here in California. Kolbe some times can come in at a lower cost and the same quality. Vinyl will cost much less. Like mentioned before there are some very high quality vinyl brands out there, much only on the east coast. Milgard and Simonton tend to be the front runners on the west coast. Both are mid range windows in my opinion.

o

See the link below to our use of Marvin Integrity (Fiberglass outside, wood inside). We built a craftsman style, so maybe this will give you some ideas. In particular, we saved a ton of money by eliminating all transoms, going with a taller window and using "cottage" grills (they give a transom look). We've been in the house for over a year and still are very positive on the windows. As our salesman explained, adding a transom is like adding an addtional window. The cottage grills worked out nice. We did splurge a little on the grills. They have a divider inbetween the panes. They really look awesome. see link

Here is a link that might be useful: link to our Marvin Integrity Windows

o

Integrity wood ultrex is also a great option as mentioned by Ikbum. Turn around time is great, a few different exterior color options and very few service issues in my experience.

o

The Integrity wood/ultrex is probably the best blend of wood looking window in an economical package out there.

Solid company behind it as well.

o

Thank you so much for all this information. I had forgotten to subscribe to my own post and didn't realize anyone commented. :)

lkbum: I love your integrity windows! And getting rid of the transoms but adding the cottage lites might be a great option.

This is so helpful... Off to research the Integrity wood/ultrex now...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here