Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avalpert

Near 100% Price Difference - is that normal

avalpert
11 years ago

Hi,

I got two quotes for the same exact spec Marvin Integrity French Doors. One place priced it at $2,200 the other at $4,000. Are differences like that normal? Should I be skeptical of the cheaper place? Do dealers get vastly different wholesale rates or is there plenty of room for negotiation?

I also price the same ProVia French door at three places with prices of 3700, 4100 and 5000 - still a big range but not as wide.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    11 years ago

Check the specs on each quote. Other than the base door, they are probably vastly different. There should not be that much difference if you are talking apples and apples.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

There are many reasons that you could see a wide price difference, from differences in installation, to company size and business model. Whether or not the low price is "suspect", or the high price is highway robbery can also vary with each individual situation... In this instance, the $2200 definitely sounds like it is on the extremely low-end. Is this an established, reputable company that quoted that price? To put it in perspective, $2k give or take is a reasonable price point for a premium vinyl sliding door. A french Integrity should definitely be substantially more as both the unit cost and the labor for that style will be far more.

• avalpert
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses. The specs are exactly identical on the computer produced proposal pages (I gave the second firm the cheaper companies specs to use for the quote).

I should mention they are XO (only one door opens) units if that makes a difference. The 2200 also is separate from the 500 installation costs (it is the same for the company that is double) - they have to separate the two costs since the door is taxable and the labor isn't.

I need to do a bit more research on the company. They seem to have a long history but may have changed ownership in 2009 - there is nothing negative on them on the web or BBB but nothing positive either.

I'm in the DC metro-area if anyone has suggestions of other places to go for quotes.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

You may consider calling windowsonwashington, he is in that area and is a stand up guy who runs a very professional business. My apologies if any of the regular pros on here are in the same area as I am not sure where they all are and his name kind of gives it away.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

+1 to MWM's recommendation. Great guy.

• avalpert
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation.

Quick update, I shared the cheaper integrity quote with the company who gave the more expensive quote and, after coming to confirm the doors, are willing to match it and actually come under it by 5%.

I don't what that says about the original estimate, or if it is a reflection of a business model built around repeat business, but it just goes to show it never hurts to ask.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider