Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachmaninick_gw

Okna v. Vytex

rachmaninick
10 years ago

I am a first-time replacement window buyer. I received oodles of quotes from local vendors and have settled on either Okna or Vytex windows. The quotes are as follows for 12 double hung windows, 1 3-lite slider, and 1 2-lite slider:

Okna 500 Series: $9,800
Okna 800 Series: $10,700

Vytex Georgetown: $6,885
Vytex Fortis: $8,730

Is the price difference worth it to go with the Okna windows or is it more of wash? They seem to have very similar specs and ratings (though the Okna windows are superior with regards to Air Infiltration).

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice!

This post was edited by rachmaninick on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 17:38

Comments (7)

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

The okna 500 is going to be more air tight ( better air leakage number ) and also has a solid reputation of backing up their warranties which is a true testament of the manufacturer. I also think at the end of the day, installation by a company with a proven track record is paramount. That info can be ascertained by simply searching the web.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

I'd throw out the Georgetown and narrow your choices to the Fortis and Okna options. At that point, the 500 and Fortis prices are not terribly far apart on that size job, and I'd choose the Okna myself. That said, I'd highly suggest a thorough vetting of each installation company, and determine which you feel would do a better job and is more trustworthy. Given proper weight, I'd probably make my decision one way or another based on that in this case.

• Jen Tollis
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We were quoted for the vytex fortis window and are considering it. Our quote was for 15 windows ( 14 hung windows and 1 large window that is fixed and does not move). The price was $8900 with triple glazing, 3 panes of glass for more efficiency? are we getting a fair deal? Do we need triple glass?

• User
    8 years ago

Your quote looks to be very reasonable and triple pane is a nice option for added energy performance. The vytex fortis is a very nice window and is made to be very air tight. Vytex seems to be really expanding that product and generating a lot of interest throughout the window industry. I strongly believe its right up there in quality with the upper end product lines of competitive companies you may have read about. Vytex as a company is in very good standing and has been in the window manufacturing business for over 30 years strong.

My area is chock full of overly analytical government types who seem to really embrace that product.

the vytex budget line is called "georgetown " for when a consumer is on a limited budget . its a very decent window when compared to many other product lines of similar brand recognition in that category. The Fortis is definitely the better looking and better performing window.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    8 years ago

That's definitely a fair deal with triple pane glass assuming that its a reputable company and quality installation. Solid window.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

i agree with HomeSealed, the Vytex Fortis is a very solid window. their potomac is also solid.

too many homeoweners focus on cold weather when it comes to triple pane but i think its just as important in very hot climates where it keeps the cool air from ac unit escaping and also keeping the hot air from the outside coming in. air tight windows help big time in that regard as well, not just the cold.

• Jen Tollis
    8 years ago

Thank you for the information. We too thought the vytex fortis was a pretty window and we are now ready to move forward . Just wanted to get feedback from the pro's first. Thank you all so very much.