Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda46_gw

reglazing

linda46
16 years ago

Hi,

I've read through some old posts on reglazing, but I still need to ask a few things.

How important is it that all the steps be followed? I just want to redo the glazing on the outside of my windows on my 100 year old house. I fear the windows will fall out cause most of the old is gone.

There are storm windows on the house (the metal kind).

1. Do I really need to get EVERY bit of old glaze out, remove the window, coat with linseed, put a teeny bit in the window frame & then put the glass back in BEFORE anything?

It doesn't appear there was ever any glazing compound on the inside. This whole thing will take me forever, especially if you include waiting for 7-10 DAYS!!! and then painting them before putting the window back in? I'm a single mom with a wedding coming up next year, taking classes, and chauffeuring around my Boy Scout son.

Plus, I already started on the one in the bathroom - do I need to redo that one? The house has siding on the outside (not that that matters)

2nd question - the putty stuff doesn't seem to stick that well to the wood. Is there a trick to that? How fat a snake goes on the outside of the window?

I bet you're gonna say if I used the oil first it would stick better. But I do not want to scrape every teeny vestige of old putty out - I'm afraid I'll break the window. And that is no fun (scraping OR breaking)

Thanks for your help.

Linda

Comments (3)