Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window Repair

Posted by spotted_cat (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 18, 11 at 17:15

I have MW wood dual pane windows manufactured in 1994. I have 4 windows that appear crooked at the top. In other words, the top of the sash is not flesh with top blind stop. The "crooked sash" baffles me and my DH. We don't know if the frame is out of square or if the window was installed incorrectly or if the sash is out of square. We have measured the windows left, middle, right side and the measurement is equal. We think the sash is square. If the window frame is out of square, would a replacement window even fix the problem? How can we tell if the frame is out of square or if the window was installed improperly? Do we need to hire someone to take the window out and reinstall it? Perhaps we need to buy a sash kit and it installed with the sashes and have the frame fixed? HELP!!!! Window companies in the DC area just want to install new VINYL windows.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window Repair

MW windows are both not worth repairing and not real candidates for repair.

They were made very shoddily from the outset and repairing them would be cost prohibitive as it would require a complete removal and re-installation.

The frames are often misaligned and improperly made. Getting 17 years out of them is better than most people do and a sash kit is only as good as the frame it is installed in. Putting a sash kit in an MW frame would still leave you with a very leaky window at the end of the day.

If you don't like vinyl, get another window but repairing an MW window is money not well spent in my opinion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here