Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Am I being to critical?

Posted by nap101 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 17:13

I just replace 4 of my old double hung windows with marvin tilt pak wood windows. I do have an old house.

When the guy was done I noticed on two of the windows, when closed, the bottom and top frames don't meet even. One side is level, and the other side the bottom frame is about 1/16th inch higher than the top frame. It closes fine.

I pointed it out to him and he seemed to think that was a normal tolerance. I tend to be a bit anal so I let it go thinking I'm just being too picky. Am I being too picky?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am I being to critical?

If the openings are out of square, it is tougher to get them into shape with tilt packs.

o

If not impossible without planing or cutting the sash to fit the uneven or out of square opening.

o

This is one of many reasons that most of us pros DO NOT recommend tilt packs/sash packs. Your original openings are out of square and the effort it would take to make a sash-pack work perfectly would probably end-up costing more than an entire replacement window installed. To answer your question, is this a highly efficient product/install: NO. Would it be considered ACCEPTABLE given the circumstances: Probably.

o

You probably could have added weatherstripping and storm windows for about the same cost.

o

Thanks for the feedback. Too late now I guess.

brickeyee, not sure how storm windows would solved the rotten wood in the originals. The glass was barely held in there.

o

You may be able to even it out with a shim at the header above the upper sash.
As a Pro I do recomend sash kits. It is standard procedure for sash kits to be cut, shimmed for width, shimmed for height.It does not take alot of time to do this nor would I charge extra for it. Marvin aluminum clad sash kits can't be cut do to the cladding wrapping around the bottom of the sash.
The performance of sash kits can be very good and out perform other types of windows.The performance will depend on the installation( as with any window) and the condition of the storm. A sash kit with clear glass and a good storm will yield about a 0.34 u-factor and with have an excellent STC rating. Never seen the air infiltration numbers but I suspect they would be very good with a good storm.There is very minimal loss of glass space with sash kits as well .I would not use this system without a storm window.

o

" not sure how storm windows would solved the rotten wood in the originals. The glass was barely held in there."

You restore the old windows, add weatherstripping, then instal storms to protect the windows.

Believe it or not, you can still have new sashes built to order.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here