Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nap101

Am I being to critical?

nap101
11 years ago

I just replace 4 of my old double hung windows with marvin tilt pak wood windows. I do have an old house.

When the guy was done I noticed on two of the windows, when closed, the bottom and top frames don't meet even. One side is level, and the other side the bottom frame is about 1/16th inch higher than the top frame. It closes fine.

I pointed it out to him and he seemed to think that was a normal tolerance. I tend to be a bit anal so I let it go thinking I'm just being too picky. Am I being too picky?

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

If the openings are out of square, it is tougher to get them into shape with tilt packs.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

If not impossible without planing or cutting the sash to fit the uneven or out of square opening.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

This is one of many reasons that most of us pros DO NOT recommend tilt packs/sash packs. Your original openings are out of square and the effort it would take to make a sash-pack work perfectly would probably end-up costing more than an entire replacement window installed. To answer your question, is this a highly efficient product/install: NO. Would it be considered ACCEPTABLE given the circumstances: Probably.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

You probably could have added weatherstripping and storm windows for about the same cost.

• nap101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Too late now I guess.

brickeyee, not sure how storm windows would solved the rotten wood in the originals. The glass was barely held in there.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

You may be able to even it out with a shim at the header above the upper sash.
    As a Pro I do recomend sash kits. It is standard procedure for sash kits to be cut, shimmed for width, shimmed for height.It does not take alot of time to do this nor would I charge extra for it. Marvin aluminum clad sash kits can't be cut do to the cladding wrapping around the bottom of the sash.
    The performance of sash kits can be very good and out perform other types of windows.The performance will depend on the installation( as with any window) and the condition of the storm. A sash kit with clear glass and a good storm will yield about a 0.34 u-factor and with have an excellent STC rating. Never seen the air infiltration numbers but I suspect they would be very good with a good storm.There is very minimal loss of glass space with sash kits as well .I would not use this system without a storm window.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

" not sure how storm windows would solved the rotten wood in the originals. The glass was barely held in there."

You restore the old windows, add weatherstripping, then instal storms to protect the windows.

Believe it or not, you can still have new sashes built to order.