Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anita55_gw

Need advice Anderson Sliding doors

anita55
15 years ago

First post here I hope I can explain myself so I can get some advice. We have a sliding glass door made by Anderson, original installation in 1993 house. There is a bad draft where the door meets the wall, on the end where the lock mechanism is. the vinyl or rubber that should make it airtight is bent and brittle. Can this be replaced so that the air is not flowing through? Please advise on what to ask for, what to buy. thanks for any info.

Anita

Comments (6)

• macattac
    15 years ago

Hi Anita,

What you probably have is an Anderson Frenchwood Glider (door). They have made zillions of these and it's a good door. Just to be sure here - the piece you're talking about runs from the floor up to the top along the "jamb" side (where the "keeper" is for the lock to latch into)Basically the frame.

First. Is the door aprox 80"-84" tall? You don't need to be exact here i just want to confirm it's not 8' tall.

Second. Is it white? Sand? (the color of the weatherstrip)

Third. When the door is shut is the piece you're concerned about on the inside? the outside? or are they both a problem? They are 2 different pieces.

Yes i'm a window and door nut. I help people from all over figure out how to get parts for vinyl windows - cases where no one even knows who the manufacturer is. They email me pictures of balances and locks and i can usually help them out as i am a rep (my paying job)in the business and it's all i really know!

Of course you don't necessarily need me. But don't bother trying to contact Anderson either, they will be of no help. They rely on distribution i.e. an Anderson (dealer) lumberyard in your area. Hopefully the Millwork salesperson is willing to help you, i have seen cases where they aren't interested because you didn't buy it from them etc, and of course this is not a warranty issue.

If you want to email me a pic i would be happy to take a look.
    Otherwise Good Luck!
    Ed
    edcossart@gwi.net

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you. Here are some photos of the area I'm talking about. The door is about 80 inches. The "gasket" right along the lock area is split at the seam. What is your advice? I have been thinking that we have to replace the door but the main draft comes from this spot so maybe we could do a cheaper fix. thanks

• macattac
    15 years ago

Yup, those are the 2 pieces. You might be surprised how much it would cost for you to have that door replaced with the same or similar quality.

I would just do both pieces, it swaps out pretty easily (DIY) and no more air getting through. This is the type of thing we should all be doing, rather than running out and spending huge dollars to replace the whole thing.
    Ed

• afsa
    15 years ago

You will probably end up spending about 45 - 50 bucks for all the weatherstripping and a tube of the Vinyl to Vinyl adhesive(glue) maybe be necessary for the replacement but I am not sure of that.

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you to everybody for the advice.