Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing slider with French doors

Posted by alexh (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 16:26

Hi,

I have an 8' tall by 6' wide contractor special Viking slider that's getting old. I have been upgrading all the finish work in my house to a high level myself so I'd like to get a quality unit.

I'd like a traditional look with divided lights (simulated, but with interior grill), stain grade option on the inside, low-e optimized for hot climates (south facing door) and excellent weather proofing (door exposed to weather). Exterior material not important (longevity primary importance - exterior of house is stucco). Screen is a must.

I was looking at Pella but noticed a lot of negative comments here. I thought Pella was middle of the road and that's kind of where I want to be. If I decide to go stain grade on the interior I know I will be in a different league. No doubt Marvin is top of the line. I thought Jeld-Wen was lower end but it looks pretty good on the web site.

Any suggestions on which brand to start out on?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing slider with French doors

Personally I would stick with either Marvin or Kolbe & Kolbe. If you have an extreme weather exposure your best bet is to stick with one of the best. You may get lucky with a lower quality unit but you may also get unlucky. I have found through my years that with even the best double doors they are not 100% weather tight, just the nature of the beast with that many moving parts. If you can you may want to consider building an overhang to reduce the weather exposure or stay with a slider using simulated divided lites and a LIFT & SLIDE type of unit with a low profile drainage track. This type of unit would be the tightest as the weight of the panel sits directly on the floor and on lower track and the drainage track would weep out any water that gets in the track system.

o
RE: Replacing slider with French doors

I hear you on the weather. I don't have extreme weather but my slider roller froze and the unit was so difficult to get out (frame was overshimmed on top or header sagged) that I damaged the track. The moral of the story here is to ALWAYS specify full stainless roller assemblies.

If i could pick your brain on a couple of install questions -

My current slider is installed w/o using a nailing fin and there is a stucco bumpout. based on what you see in the picture, would you specify a replacement unit the same size (~96"Hx71.5"W)? Some stucco damage is inevitable and that fine but if I have to rip off lots of stucco I may rethink this.

Photobucket

The "jamb" on the current unit is proud of the drywall about 1/2" and the casing trim butts against it. Obviously this is not standard for interior doors/windows. I suppose you can specify the jamb to be whatever width you want so if the jamb is flush with the drywall a standard casing placement (1/4" jamb reveal) could be used?

As you can see from the pic the bottom track is much narrower than the jamb. A french door will have a threshold more like a standard door. Would you expect that the tile would have to be cut to allow for a wider threshold?

Thanks

Photobucket

o
Patio Door install questions

I'd like to replace a slider with a patio door and I may have it done but I'd like to clear up some questions -

My current slider is installed w/o using a nailing fin and there is a stucco bumpout. based on what you see in the picture, would you specify a replacement unit the same size (96"Hx72"W)? Some stucco damage is inevitable and that's fine but if I have to rip off the bumpout and/or lots of stucco I may rethink this.

Photobucket

The "jamb" on the current unit is proud of the drywall about 1/2" and the casing trim butts against it. Obviously this is not standard for interior doors/windows. I suppose you can specify the jamb to be whatever width you want so if the jamb is flush with the drywall a standard casing placement (3/16" jamb reveal) could be used?

As you can see from the pic below the bottom track is much narrower than the jamb. A french door will have a threshold more like a standard door. Would you expect that the tile would have to be cut to allow for a wider threshold (subfloor is slab)?

None of the websites give much detail on the threshold so I'll have to see one in person to verify.

Photobucket

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here