Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Protecting home furnishings and floors from uv light

Posted by in2thesun (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 16:15

I live in Ogden, UT and my 12 year old house has beautiful south facing views which I would like to keep without covering my windows with curtains or shades. I currently have 270 low e windows. I am thinking about replacing the glass with 366 low e panes in order to cut down on the damage the light is causing my furniture and hardwood floors. Someone else recommended to me just to put 3m film on the windows. Which would be better? I have priced both and am willing to pay the extra for the 366 low e window replacement if that is the better option to solve my uv problem. Any suggestions on this decision?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Protecting home furnishings and floors from uv light

I would not worry about the swapping the glass or adding a film.

Standard 2 coat Low-e (i.e. Low-e 270) will block 85-90% of the UV light that hits the window (frame to frame) and will dramatically reduce any fading that might occur.

Being in UT, you are a 5:1 heating degree to cooling degree climate. Blocking any more of that "free" winter heat that you get from the passive solar heating of the sun will actually hurt the home's overall efficiency in the end.

Fading protection is not all a UV question either. It is a combination of UV transmission and visible light as well. Example, blocking all the UV transmission does not mean that the fading potential is 0. The visible light will still fade the carpet, floors, etc.

I think you are more than well protected with Low-e 270 and you want that higher SHGC to warm that home up in the winter.

o
RE: Protecting home furnishings and floors from uv light

Thanks so much for your advice on this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here