Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confused about glass choice. Want heat to come in in winter.

Posted by angeez (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 16:03

We have a large west facing window in our living room and I want heat to come in, in the winter. What SHGC rating is good. I am afraid that the Infinity option we picked is not going to let heat in like our old Anderson's do????? HELP!!!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confused about glass choice. Want heat to come in in winter.

Where is the home located?

Depending on your climate, you may not want as much heat as you think and the passive Solar applications are best suite for the South facing openings.

If you are looking for good solar heating, above 0.40 is preferable.

o

I am in Iowa. The only other option with Infinity is 180 glass and the u factor is not good. I am thinking that my current 21 year old anderson windows may have a worse u factor and that the new infinity will insulate better and the SHGC won't be that big of a deal. Thoughts?

o

As I mentioned on the other thread, the 272 will be a nice balance for your climate. You don;t sacrifice u-value, nor do you completely block the passive solar benefit. The 180 on the southern exposure would not be the worst thing, but ideally you would want some trees or an awning or something on that side of the home that will block the beating sun in the summer time. Blinds do the trick as well ;D. 180 is not a good choice for the rest of the home.

o

+1

Just like the other thread.

o

Thanks guys! 272 it is. I think the 180 would be worse u factor/value and we don't want that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here