Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So Cal Window Replacement

Posted by CAFixerUpper (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 15:51

We need to replace 50 year old wood windows as well as a few vinyl that were improperly fitted and poorly installed. I have 3 bids from window contractors that are drastically different. Internet research on windows has me baffled, and Consumer Reports doesn't list any of them in their top ratings. Each contractor is offering different ones: Simonton, Anlin Monteverde, Plygem Pro Series. All single hung, dual pane.

Can anyone offer any advice? Also, the house is in east Co San Diego where it gets VERY hot. Is that an issue with these windows? Will they warp?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So Cal Window Replacement

What series of the Simonton? Not a fan of the Ply-Gem. I do not know about the Anlin. Of the 3, Simonton could be your best option as quality goes, depending on what model is offered. In SoCal, get the low-e3 option. Vinyl will do you well in this climate.

o

Go with Simonton Daylight Max series, it comes with 366 low e glass (low e 3). If it's not that or Madeira series by Simonton it's from home depot and I wouldn't get it. Ply gem I haven't been impressed with the quality. Anlin I'm not familiar with even though they're made in California. I wouldn't worry about warping.

o

JeffPad - That installer tells me the Simonton is the Daylight Max product. Is that their best product? Plygem installer tells me they are a good product, and his install price is much lower, which of course concerns me. Thank you both for the info about the climate. There are existing vinyl windows there that seem to be ok.

o

Daylight Max is what you want, it has the upgraded glass and components. Some times with install you get what you pay for. See if either have previous jobs they've done to look at.

o

most clients use the 7300 / DayLite max. Solid product in SoCal. Low-e3 / argon are standard. Ply-Gems are good for a rental maybe. As this is your home, keep with the Simonton IMO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here