Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sash springs

Posted by aejamison (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 27, 09 at 15:42

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products -

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/72-432-window-parts/wood-window-sash-spring-618058.aspx

or

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/72-432-window-parts/window-control-505298.aspx

Do they work in wood double hung windows, and if so, how long would they last? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sash springs

They don't anything for counterbalancing the weight of the sash, which can be pretty significant when you open or close the window. They are a step up from the "nail in the frame" approach.

Depending on where you are replacing the sash cords and weights isn't a horrid experience. If you're lucky, the original weights are still in the pockets. Have you considered that approach?

o

I have fixed a few sash cords, but eventually I want to fill in the pockets with insulation and use the spring balances by Pullman. I was wondering if these sash springs would buy me a couple of years until I can afford spring balances, but would also allow me to get started with the insulation.

It sounds like you think the tension the springs provide isn't enough for the weight of a wood sash.

o

They will probably hold them in place just fine.

My concern stems from knowing how unwieldy the sashes are in our Victorian when even one weight is disconnected. I've banged too many fingers and lost panes of glass as a result of unbalanced sashes.

Spring balances vs. weights is a personal choice based on cost and a desire to stuff insulation in the gaps. Both should work fine, if properly sized. My personal feeling is that until you've put in some kind of weatherstripping to seal the sashes to the frame, the heat losses through the sash pockets are pretty small compared to the infiltration around the sashes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here