Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwm804

Okna v. Simonton v. PGT

JWM804
10 years ago

We are in the process of building a house in central Virginia and have been extensively researching vinyl, double hung windows in trying to pick the right ones. We started looking at Pella 350's, but have heard enough bad reviews about Pella to steer us away. We are now looking at the Okna 500, Simonton 5500 and PGT 500 series. We hear nothing but good things about the Okna's, but are just slightly concerned with the fact that we know nothing about them (other than what we have read on these forums and heard from the guy that sells them). The numbers on the Okna's seem to be better than the Simonton or PGT's numbers. Any insight or opinions would be appreciated.

Comments (18)

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

The Okna is the top choice here by a fair margin. It is one of the top 2 or 3 choices on the market IMO, and is held in universally high regard among professionals. The other two are above average IMO, but Okna is top tier. The best thing about comparing performance numbers is that they are all independantly tested, black and white, totally objective. Let them be your guide as they are very reflective of quality and performance.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1

That is not a fair comparison for the PGT. The Okna will have better lines, performance, aesthetics, etc.

The Okna 5500 (new construction) is a great window in this application and works very well.

• doorproz
    10 years ago

I have to agree with the okna comments. They make a solid window.
    Personally, i think simonton is just ok on a good day and really cant compete with the higher grade vinyl window offerings out there today. Simonton is kind of lost and in my opinion has totally dropped the ball in terms of design features, air tightness, and energy efficiency. Not to mention, simonton make a very bulky window. Simonton do have a slimmer frame but its their lower end series which is a piece if junk. They may call it ' assure" or something like that. The 5500 is ok but as i said, lacks in alot of ways and its bulky.

This post was edited by doorproz on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 10:13

• JWM804
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, so we were pretty much settled on the Okna 5500 (new construction version of the 500), but then got a quote that was about $5000 cheaper for the PGT 2160. Now we are not so sure, because that savings can be used elsewhere in our build. I know it sounds like the Oknas are a better window, but are they $5000 better ($16k v. $11k quote)?

• PRO
    10 years ago

How many windows?

Keep in mind that you will be amortizing this over 30 years. That delta will more than pay for itself with energy savings with the more energy efficient and air tight window.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Not to mention the hard to quantify "comfort factor".

• JWM804
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is about 35 windows--counting the doubles and triples as a singular window. If I break those out, it is around 51 or so.

• JWM804
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, also a sliding glass door as well.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Your only talking about less than $100 per unit average, I would go with the Okna if it were me as it is a considerably better window.

• JWM804
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the input everyone. We ended up going with the Oknas. I think we will ultimately be very pleased with this decision.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

Good choice!

• JWM804
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One last thing, my builder saw the quote from Okna and pointed out that the new construction windows by Okna use wood jamb extensions. He seemed to think that was somehow an issueâ¦.not really sure what the issue isâ¦.most of the windows are being installed on 2x4 walls, with a few on a 2x6 wall. The wood jamb extensions are 4 9/16 for the 2x4 walls and 6 9/16 for the 2x6 walls. Is there any issue here? What am I not getting? I'm not sure what the standard is for other windows as I had not paid much attention to the jamb materials. Do other windows use vinyl jambs? Is there some disadvantage to the wood jamb?

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

No. I dont know what your builder is talking about. How can having a window come with an extension jamb be an issue, to me its an issue that he thinks its an issue, if that makes any sense..lol
    Seriously, i never heard of such a thing.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

I don't get what the issue would be either. I'd ask the builder to clarify his concerns... The two most common methods used are wood jamb extensions and drywall returns.

• JWM804
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!!! Going with the Okna's and not looking back.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Smart/ logical choice.

• PRO
    10 years ago

+1

I think you will be supremely happy with them in the end.