Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picking a manufacturer for our new build

Posted by natorock (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 6, 10 at 15:24

We are first time builders and doing it ourselves! It's been exciting, and trying...and very much a huge learning experience. It's come time to pick out windows, and there are LOTS to chose from!

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on finding the best bang for our buck. We want quality, but also want this build to be very cost effective as it's not "the house of our dreams" and we will be selling.

Anyone know anything about Magic Windows? I'm supposed to have meeting with them in the near future.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picking a manufacturer for our new build

"Magic Windows', you are kidding aren't you? LOL, buy them and watch your money disappear.

o

You need to assign some parameters to the windows (material, aesthetics, design, operator type, etc) and narrow the scope from there.

Once you do that, you will get much more directed feedback.

o

Well, we really have no idea what is better. Casement? Sliding? vertical, or horizontal? Don't even know what to make the choice based on.

Thanks anyways

o

Casement will be the most airtight but most expensive as well.

It is all about what you want. There is not that much difference in the material prices.

o

I would suggest getting a local company in your area..and make sure they service what they sell...especially if you get them from a local window company who distributes them who usually don't service what they rep. depending on the location and climate be carefull...I have used Pella and Anderson ..I would not recommend them at all..many service issues and lack of customer service and basically they just don't care!!

o

lcsanjose

So what window would you recommend?

o

what area of the country do you live in? weather, wind?, ocean? and many conditions all come into play when considering a window manufacturer ..they all tell you there the best...be carefull its worse than buying used cars from some of those people!!...especially what the warranty really covers..consumer reports rate stuff but not really appicable to everyones need or conditions...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here