Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sound issue w/ 1931 windows

Posted by eskeech (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 15:23

Hello, I recently moved into a beautiful 1931 apartment bldg that was fully upgrades - except for the windows. The sound that comes through is a big problem, mostly due to the fact that the bldg next to me has it's windows opening onto mine, and the tenants there are always fighting. I've gotten heavy curtains, shades, an area rug, use a white noise machine, wear ear plugs, but nothing helps the 3:30am fight wake up.
My landlord is looking into replacing the windows, but as I will have to pay for it them I was wondering if this is the most economical solution.
Is there a film or something that could be put over the windows to shut out noise?
And can anyone suggest double or triple pane windows that are good at noise reduction but won't break my bank?
ANY help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks so so much!
Eskeech

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sound issue w/ 1931 windows

The only way to effectively abate sound is to buy windows with laminated glass and to use closed cell spray foam in the jambs. Do not get talked into triple pane glass for the purpose of sound abatement. it could actually make it worse.

You could also consider storm windows with laminated glass if the existing windows are in good shape and you like them.

o

No films available that will make any tangible impact.

You could opt for an exterior or interior storm with laminated glass. That will make a huge difference.

o

New windows will only be as good as the wall they are being installed to.You may have this problem if heavy curtains and rugs don;t make a difference.Storm windows can be good option and don't always need to be laminated. I would experiment more with the cheap options since sound control storms start around $160 without installation or laminated glass and other window options will easily excede this. I would look at some other forums that deal specifically with sound control as well.

o

+1

Sound transmission control is only as good as its weakest link.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here