Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High quality wood windows/doors

Posted by alexh (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 16, 10 at 15:19

Hi,

As I previously posted, I'm appalled at the low quality of the real wood interior parts I saw on one patio door display unit. In fairness to the manufacturer, I don't know if the floor unit is typical of their quality, but I know that on built to order goods, realistically there is no recourse if the quality is poor. Once the order is placed you are stuck with whatever you get.

Of the major manuafcturers (Jeld Wen, Anderson, Pella, Marvin, Kolbe) is there one that stands out in terms of interior wood finish quality? Tight joints, no squeaks and a thick, durable finish (or I can finish myself).

I'm getting quotes of about $3k for a 8'Hx6'W patio door and at that price I think the interior woodwork should be furniture quality.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High quality wood windows/doors

One brand you did not mention is Loewen. In my recent search for a sliding glass door (wood not vinyl), two brands stood out from the pack: Loewen and Marvin. Unfortunately, the Marvin and Loewen were also the most expensive that I saw. But I guess you get what you pay for.

Between Marvin and Loewen, I thought Loewen was slightly superior. Loewen comes with Doug Fir standard. Marvin has Doug Fir as an optional upgrade, which would raise the Marvin price substantially. Loewen also just looked beautiful and felt beautiful. Marvin looks great too. In the end I chose Marvin for a couple of reasons: I was going to have the wood painted, so it wouldn't matter to me that Loewen had the Doug Fir. Marvin was less expensive than Loewen. I believe that the price depends on your region. I could only find a couple of places selling Loewen in a 25-mile radius, while Marvin was sold at a dozen places in a 10-mile radius, so the Marvin sellers were competing with each other and the prices were better. I believe some people have reported that in their area, Loewen costs less than Marvin, so it really depends on location. Also, customer service was a factor in my decision since Loewen was not well-represented in my area. Perhaps they are in your area, and I recommend you check out both Marvin and Loewen.

BTW, I am replacing a Pella sliding glass door, and having lived with it, would never get a Pella sliding glass door again.

o
RE: High quality wood windows/doors

both of Marvin and Loewen require service...if you miss anything they state in there service requirement your warranty is gone. Key would be to find a shop that really services what they sell and not just distributors and have been around for a long time..that seems more comforting for me...Pella your right that is the worst crap on the market by far..but people get fooled thru advertising...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here