Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marvin / Pella energy efficient windows

Posted by windowbuyer (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 24, 09 at 14:49

We are considering replacing original (50 yr old) windows in our home due to the tax credit. We've narrowed it down to Marvin Ultimates or Pella Architect series. However, in order to qualify for the tax credit, the windows need a specific glass - the Marvins need LoE366 and the Pellas need LoE2 (or dual loE). The glass sample for the Pellas seemed darker than the sample for the Marvins. Both companies claim to use Cardinal as their manufacturer. Is there a difference in the glass? Our home is a bit dark so I'm hesitant to use a darker glass. Any thoughts or suggestions, or other options we should look at? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marvin / Pella energy efficient windows

The glass should be the same if sold in the same region, but the sample might be incorrect. Ask the supplier.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Marvin instead of Pella.

o

macy- Whay do you say to not chose Marvin over Pella, seems like most threads i have looked at pick marvin to be a better window (or at least equal to) Pella

o

Marvin would be much better, no where near equal

o

macv did recommend Marvin over Pella. I am also replacing windows, and immediately ruled out Pella based on reading old threads on this forum.

o

Sorry Macv, i read your post wrong. Looks like you did recommend Marvin over Pella

o
RE: Marvin / Pella energy efficient windows VT #

For the OP ( windowbuyer ) those windows should have a VT (Visible light transmittance) rating, are they the same for each.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here