Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

quotes from window co. or from contractor for new addition

scrappy25
11 years ago

Greetings, for a new construction addition, I posted previously and got some good advice on vinyl windows and door suggestions for the Maryland area. I am still working with the architect on the addition so not ready yet , but was wondering how the bidding works. Which of the following would you advise?

1. Do I get window and door quotes including from a window/door company directly (I like this since they are more experienced at installation) and furnish them to a contractor before the contractor bids. If so, does the contractor still work seamlessly with the company?

2. Do I instruct the contractor where to go for pricing for his/her bid after selecting the product from consultation with the window/door company myself and allow him/her to do the installation.

There will obviously be siding and roofing on the new construction as well but would the contractors usually take care of that themselves and not like to have it farmed out to a specialty siding/roofing/window/door company? Would the answer be different if the siding work involves residing the rest of the house as well?

Just trying to figure out how to get ducks in a row for the best price/product/installation combo.

Comments (2)