Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Is there a proper name for combo unit of 2 windows side-by-side?

Posted by la_koala (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 14:39

Hi, my apologies if this is a stupid question. While I am a home owner with pretty good math skills, I don't know if I'm thinking about this in the appropriate way.

I'd like to use the right terminology for this (makes my Google searches more accurate and I can talk to contractors and make sense. :-)

Is there a proper term to use when talking about having two double-hung windows side-by-side in a single rough opening?

The basic situation is I have an existing double-hung window (daylight opening 29 1/2" wide) and am planning on remodeling that wall and I want to put in two double-hungs side-by-side.

How is the rough opening calculated in that "combo" scenario?

I mean, I can look up the manufacturer's tables for what the rough opening width is for one double-hung with a given daylight opening width. For example, the Marvin Clad Ultimate Double-Hung conversion table says to add 7 7/16" width to the daylight opening width.

But for a side-by-side combo of two, do the manufacturers have tables for these, or is there some standard for the width of the middle section between the two windows? Or are two windows side-by-side really two frames together, and the frame width of the "combo" equals 2 times the frame of one window?

Feel free to tell me if my questions don't make sense. I'm here to learn.


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Is there a proper name for combo unit of 2 windows side-by-si

Mulled is the term I am familiar with.

RE: Is there a proper name for combo unit of 2 windows side-by-si

Hi dallasauburn, thanks so much! When I use "mulled window" in Google, I actually get hits to pages that talk about this, and it sounds just like what I want to do.


RE: Is there a proper name for combo unit of 2 windows side-by-si

Twin Double hung would the proper descriptor for what you are describing.

When you put two windows together (i.e. mull two units) it is done with a mullion strip or clip that attaches into the exterior accessory groove of the outside and inside.

If you are creating the rough opening, you can just give whatever manufacturer you are ordering from that measurement and they will create the twin unit that will fit that opening.

It will be factory mulled which is preferable most times anyway.

RE: Is there a proper name for combo unit of 2 windows side-by-si

Hi windowsonwashington,

Thank you so much for that clarification about the "factory mulled" windows. And for the "twin double hung" phrase!

That's very helpful to know that the manufacturer will create the twin unit to fit the opening measurement. Another one of those facts I didn't know that I didn't know. :-)

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here