Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Is there a proper name for combo unit of 2 windows side-by-side?

la_koala
13 years ago

Hi, my apologies if this is a stupid question. While I am a home owner with pretty good math skills, I don't know if I'm thinking about this in the appropriate way.

I'd like to use the right terminology for this (makes my Google searches more accurate and I can talk to contractors and make sense. :-)

Is there a proper term to use when talking about having two double-hung windows side-by-side in a single rough opening?

The basic situation is I have an existing double-hung window (daylight opening 29 1/2" wide) and am planning on remodeling that wall and I want to put in two double-hungs side-by-side.

How is the rough opening calculated in that "combo" scenario?

I mean, I can look up the manufacturer's tables for what the rough opening width is for one double-hung with a given daylight opening width. For example, the Marvin Clad Ultimate Double-Hung conversion table says to add 7 7/16" width to the daylight opening width.

But for a side-by-side combo of two, do the manufacturers have tables for these, or is there some standard for the width of the middle section between the two windows? Or are two windows side-by-side really two frames together, and the frame width of the "combo" equals 2 times the frame of one window?

Feel free to tell me if my questions don't make sense. I'm here to learn.

Thanks!

Comments (4)