Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scutterbotch

Replacement vinyl windows & patio door

scutterbotch
10 years ago

Just purchased a 50-year-old home in May. Has original wood windows and patio door and it is getting cold. I have spoken with 3 window company representatives thus far: Champion, Aline, Polaris. I am going to call Unique home improvements as well, don't know what windows they carry. In reading this forum, I'm sure I will not go with Alpine. Champion is twice what Polaris is. In looking at the Polaris website, I'm impressed.

Comments?

Comments (14)

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

I won't comment on specific install companies, but the Polaris UltraWeld is very good. If there is any criticism its that it is just a little bit bulky. I would recommend an upgrade to the stainless spacer if you go that route. Very good performance though, better than the others you've seen. You might also take a look at Okna HiMark, Sunrise Restorations, and Softlite Elements as top options.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

The Polaris UltraWeld door is a solid door and a good performer.

I don't know if I would use a website as the sole evaluator of product quality and engineering prowess.

The US Government spent nearly 100 million on the ACA website for it not to work and nearly 500 million in total on the technology portals.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

There you go wow, you had to bring politics into the forum didn't you!!

• PRO
    10 years ago

Ha!

Didn't mean it to be but that picture of Jay Carney was funny.

• scutterbotch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ windowsonwashington
    I had a live person representing Polaris in my home and viewed the window, then I went to the website to see the cut-away view in more detail than the brochure provided.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Scutterbotch,

What did you think? That UltraWeld is a sherman tank.

• scutterbotch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@windows on washington

Well, I guess the UltraWeld didn't seem like a sherman tank to me as I don't remember thinking that when he brought the window sample in. It just seemed normal compared to the vinyl windows I had in my rental duplex prior to owning this house. Since the post, I've had a Pella rep in and Lowe's sells/installs Pella. Had another Alside rep in. In reading, have not heard any good reports on Alside. He was quoting the Excalibur. Still leaning toward the Polaris UltraWeld.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

The Ultraweld is still the top performer that you've seen. You are on the right track... Regarding the "tank" comments, it is one of the bulkier models available these days if there is any complaint about it, but an excellent performer structurally. One of only a small handful of products that achieve a .01 air infiltration rating.

• PRO
    10 years ago

+1

The corner cut is impressive as it is very well engineered. A tad bit on the thick side as HomeSealed mentioned but you get one supremely good performing window out of it.

• roof35
    10 years ago

Would like to add a comment about the Polaris.

I bought 13 lower end double hung (Unistar) Polaris, which are no longer made, and their patio slider . That was 19 years ago, and I still have the darn windows and door in the house.

Last year, I redid the kitchen, moved things around, and had to put a smaller window in since I moved the sink area. I bought a Polaris, the lowest end, and installed it there. The name escapes me for the moment.

Anyways, I was in contracting years back, and was always impressed with any warranty work from Polaris. Myself, I still have to replace hinge pins once in awhile on my own windows. I call Polaris direct instead of going through Modern Builders Supply (MBS). I tell them what I need, they always send me any parts no charge.

Last year, I called Polaris with the order number on 4 different windows throughout the house. The seals had failed, the usual fogged glass was evident. They would send me out the 4 glass, no charge, and I could do it myself. Or, they would install them. The charge is $75 for up to 4 different glass, and I believe $10 per pane after that. Being I'm no spring chicken anymore, I let them handle it.

I guess the bottom line is. You want a manufacturer to stand behind their products. Polaris is a hard one to beat in that category.

After 19 years with these windows, which were supposed to be in our temporary home. It's getting time to do some updating, since it looks like we're not going anywhere! Polaris will be my only consideration.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Great Feedback Roof35.

That is probably the best thing you can know about a company at the end of the day.

• scutterbotch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I so appreciate everyone's comments. I've gotten it down to Polaris or Enviro-Star (or 500 DX series) by Okna. I can't find that Okna has any better efficiency ratings than Polaris at a cost of $125 higher per window than quoted from the Polaris rep. My dilemma is the Polaris person quoted an Alside patio door and I have completely ruled out Alside. I don't know that he offers any other options. I really liked the look of the patio offered by the Okna rep, but it was a Sunrise patio door and I don't know that the Polaris rep can get one. I don't mind the bulkiness of the Polaris. I'm not sure I'm going to stay in this house any longer than the 2 years HUD requires. I have just had too many issues. Having said that, I may fix the issues and begin to love the house, so I want to install windows that are good if I decide to stay, and not the worst on the market if I decide to sell in 1.5 years, if that made any sense. Replacing the original wood windows will be a huge re-sale item. I'm trying to cover all avenues whether I stay or sell.

Would appreciate any patio door comments.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

The Okna and Sunrise patio doors are both excellent. The Okna has superior efficiency and a welded frame, while the Sunrise operates a little bit more smoothly in my experience.
    On the windows themselves, make sure that you are comparing apples to apples in terms of options. IE: if you are looking at the Envirostar or 500 in "Deluxe" by Okna, that has foam filled frames and sashes. The Envirostar also has a composite sash reinforcement. An equivalent upgrade package in the Polaris would include foam filled frames, reinforcement, and an upgrade to Supercept glass spacer. Even then the Okna will have the superior u-value by 2 to 4 points depending on glass package, and will also net you a fair amount more glass area.

• PRO
    10 years ago

If you are quoting similar packages and options (and you don't mind the loss of glass) the Polaris is an awesome window.

The Sunrise door is just fine. It is, as HomeSealed mentioned, a bit easier to use because it isn't nearly as heavy.