Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unfinished Fiberglass door through winter?

Posted by vinudev_liny (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 24, 10 at 13:26

I am wondering if its ok to leave a fiberglass door unfinished through winter if it has a storm door in front? I live on Long Island, NY and am worried that the fiberglass will crack/warp before we have a chance to finish it. Therma Tru says to finish only when temp are between 50-90 and it will be mid-april to may before we get to 55 at night. We would like to have the doors installed before the tax credit expires at the end of the yr.
So what would you recommend-put on a bad finish now or leave the door unfinished till later?
Thanks for your opinions.
Vinaya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unfinished Fiberglass door through winter?

Before you have the door installed have it pre-painted in the shop. Or before you install, finish it in possibly your basement or a heated garage. Leave your old door in place until the paint has completely dried on the new door.

If you don't paint it won't it void your warranty?

o
RE: Unfinished Fiberglass door through winter?

For fiberglass, the warranty is valid if painted within six months of installation. I asked our installer if he could install a prefinished door and he wasn't very keen on it saying the finish would get spoilt during installation and he might have to cut the door to size etc. Maybe he just wanted to avoid the hassle of protecting the finish.
I think it might be better to wait till spring to do this replacement and see if we can qualify for the credit with other projects.
Thanks
Vinaya

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here