Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcmyles

Which vinyl window manufacturer?

dcmyles
9 years ago

We're building in CZ3 (GA), 1 1/2 story all brick w/ walkout basement. Our plans call for mostly double hung windows. The supplier options are:
1. Andersen
2. Eagle Windows
3. SilverLine by Andersen
4. Jelden
5. Windsor
6. MI
7. Plygem
Which should we consider, from best to worse? Thanks for any recommendations!

Comments (13)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Eagle does not offer a vinyl window. Neither does Andersen (technically vinyl clad). And from number three on down, compete garbage for the most part. I have heard that depending on the series that Plygem has a decent window.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

+1

What do you want the windows to look like? You have a whole bunch of different options there.

I would echo MWM feedback. You have a bunch of options there at different price points and quality levels.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

I would agree with both pros above. Eagle and Andersen are solid, but they are not vinyl. The rest of the choices are bottom feeder vinyl products IMO

• crhbobby1
    9 years ago

My builder uses Quaker vinyl windows. We haven't signed a contract yet...and I am sure I could upgrade if should want to.

I have reviewed the quaker website, and it looks decent to me. I read on the forum that these are lower grade windows...but no details as to why.

My build is hopefully going to be 380k to 392k. 90 percent of the windows in my house are 3 foot wide by 5 foot tall windows... In the living room...there are 3 sets out together...no shape windows...except a transom in the master bedroom.

Is there a budget friendly vinyl window that would be better...and why?

Thank you very much for your help!

• Karateguy
    9 years ago

Good window, good installation/service, low price. Pick two out of three- if you are lucky.

• dcmyles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replys. Of the Plygems, which series is the best? The supplier recommended the Silverline Preferred 3000 Series DH. In my mind after looking at them, no way! Thanks!

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

The plygem Uniframe and Ecosmart are their top lines, but I'm guessing those are not an option. Your builder's top option is probably the Premium series, formerly the Great Lakes Grandview 5000. It was once a nice window IMO, but the beancounters got to it and time has passed it by. Air infiltration rate of .19cfm which is below average as vinyl windows go.

• PRO
    9 years ago

You haven't really said what you were looking for just yet.

Do you want a wood window, composite, vinyl? Do you want high performance, air tight, etc.?

I would start by narrowing it down to what you are comfortable with and then go from there.

• dcmyles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Of the manufacturers mentioned, I'm looking for the best performing vinyl window. I think I've narrowed it down to the PlyGem Premium vinyl series; though it appears to be in the replacement window category. I suppose they would add a nail fin for new construction.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Should have the option of a clip in or integral flange.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Wasn't Plygem formerly known as Certainteed? Don't know if their quality changed with the name, but I have a house full of Certainteed windows and I hate them. They continually develop contamination between the panes and need to be replaced. The full warranty expired after five years and now I have to pay each time one needs replacing, which is too often.

• Karateguy
    9 years ago

As HS said, Plygem from the midwest to the atlantic was primarily Great Lakes. Certainteed always used relabled products, most recently by MI (Bryn Mawr). Both leave much to be desired. Neither would fit the catagory of "best performing" in most comparisons

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"Certainteed always used relabled products, most recently by MI (Bryn Mawr)."

Really? I thought they had their own factory.