Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl Siding Depth

Posted by stuckInMN (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 12:42

Hi all....hoping for some input on a siding question. I am replacing the aluminum siding on my home with insulated vinyl (Certainteed Cedarboards - Clapboard) and I need to decide on a size. D4" is what I got an estimate for....but I was wondering if D6" would look nicer.

Does it depend on the size of your home? How do you choose the best looking size? I've been driving around checking other homes. Most in my neighborhood are 3" or 4".

Google is not my friend right now...I can't find anything that gives you a general idea on what to pick. Does it depend on the height/width of your home?

Any input would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl Siding Depth

6 inch is most realistic or the 7". When is the last time you saw wood siding that was only 3 or 4 inches wide, i prefer Crane " solid core" siding over certainteed by a mile.

o

3 and 4" exposure is the norm for late 19th century to early 20th century homes in my area.the 50'slate 70's is when the wider stuff came into fashion. Most vinyl siding is done in 4" and cement board at 7". The last time I have seen siding that had 3 and 4 " exposure was today,pretty much every day before and I expect to see it tomorrow. It'll come down to cost and preferable preference. You do want to get a nice product when going that wide.

o

LOL, nice Todd.
I'd actually agree, but perhaps it is a regional thing.
@stuck, it depends on your personal preference and the style of your home. 4" got very popular with vinyl because hollow core vinyl will have more tendency to wave and buckle as the reveal gets taller. The insulated siding takes care of that, enter the 6 and 7" choices. The 6" choice is most popular around here, as most folks like to mimic the look of traditional cedar siding.
On product, I have not used the certainteed, but I've used Crane, Alside/Revere, and Variform all with good results.

o

I do like the charter oak by alside with full back. Its a nice panel.

o

+1

Alside's Charter Oak and Prodigy are our two most popular panels by large margin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here