Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost and effort of staining windows

Posted by human_v09 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 12:38

Folks,

My first posting here, appreciate any advise.

We are rebuilding in the DC metro area (high labour costs) and are conflicted between choosing factory painted white windows versus stained windows. We love the stained look but factory stained windows are quite expensive and over our budget so we've considering buying them unfinished and having them stained by a local contractor.

My question is, how easy or difficult is it to stain windows and what should I estimate for time and materials? We have 46 casement windows, the smallest is 24 x 48 and the largest is 30 x 72, of which there are 20.

On a related note, do folks have any thoughts or comments on painting versus staining windows or the differences between factory finished windows versus field finished windows?

For what it's worth our window trim and crown molding will be white but we think that stained windows with white trim will aesthetically work.

Thanks,

Nitin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost and effort of staining windows

In my experience, a properly done stain job will be no less expensive than a factory finish, and can be more in many cases depending on how discerning you are about the final product. A furniture grade finish requires quite a bit of prep work and several coats of sealer, stain, finish, etc and can take hours per window. That said, the factory finishes are decent and good enough for most people. You can probably figure a range of anywhere between $100-$300 per window for staining depending on the size, configuration, and quality. Much lower than that could be sketchy.

o

Hmm, so in fact an approximate cost of $200 per window for factory staining is right in the middle there.

Apart from wanting to stain the windows something not available from the factory, would there be any reason to stain in the field?

Thanks,

Nitin

o

A higher quality finish can be had by custom-staining. Again, that is not to say that the factory finishes are bad, as they are pretty good and satisfy 95% percent of clients, but they just are not as intensive as a high quality custom stain job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here