Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chipster_2007

Penguin Windows

chipster_2007
16 years ago

I live in MA and just finished a review of the Penguin triple pane window. It was very impressive window but the cost is a bit much to handle. Does anyone know what the mark up on replacement windows is and is there any reasonable way to negotiate a more reasonable price for them. I am not looking for an inexpensive window but I sure want to make sure I am getting my money's worth. Are triple pane windows the way to go or are double pane adequate for the northeast (as the price of oil keeps going up, up, up !!!!

Comments (11)

• sandsonik
    16 years ago

Chip,

Don't know the answer to your questions as I'm trying to figure this all out for myself right now as well - and I think we're in the same general area of the country. I was just wondering where you saw (or wrote?) the Penguin review? I had an estimate by them as well, and Newpro are supposed to come by Monday though I expect them to be out of my range.

• dave4568
    16 years ago

i can help you both, send me an email with your price range and what kind of window you want and ill get you a reasonable quote.
    dave..

• oberon476
    16 years ago

I avoid comments on specific window companies, but I do occasionally comment on websites.

There are a number of very interesting and unsupported claims on this company's website as well as a number of inaccuracies relating to window and window-material's performance.

Given that websites are generally designed and controlled by marketing folks and not engineers...

• chipster_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am correcting an error in the title of this posting. The windows I am referring to are Uniframe windows made by the Great Lake Window Co. They look like a superior window but at over 1,000 a window, it can make a person cry. Does anyone have any experience with these windows? Any imput appreciated.

• skydawggy
    16 years ago

Yes, they are overpriced. keep looking.

• sandsonik
    16 years ago

Dave - pardon my ignorance but I'm a newbie to this forum and can't figure out how to e-mail you! Clicking on your name doesn't do the trick.

Oberon, was curious what inaccuracies you noted on the Penguin site? Not sure why I'm asking since I've already ruled them out!

Chip - from the Great Lakes site, it would appear that Penguin may be the only option for our area for the Uniframe. At least it's the only one they list. Unfortunate for us, because it does seem people in other parts of the country definitely get them cheaper though - looks like we get all the luck since the lone Schuco dealer in this area is also really overpriced. I've read Great Lakes are a bit overpriced in general but a pretty good window. If you check out PlyGems by Great Lakes though, it seems more dealers/contractor will come up on their site. Plygems are available in either double pane or triple pane packages; someone more experienced than I would have to tell you the pros and cons of that line or why it's a step down from the Uniframe, assuming it is.

• chipster_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is there any difference between the plygems window from great lakes company and the uniframe? Are they the same? Is there any price difference (haven't had a chance to look into it yet?) Any way of negotiating the price?

• dave4568
    16 years ago

sands, im new at this too, but i can help you with your window shopping send me an email at davidlisa@verizon.net
    with a contact # and we can talk windows.
    thanks,
    dave4568

• tjshire
    15 years ago

I also got an estimate from Penguin, and it turned out to be $800-1,000 a window. Wow!

I've done a lot of research on windows, and Uniframe/Penguin windows seem to be at the top of the heap when it comes to vinyl frames. Gorell makes a similarly high-end vinyl product.

But if we are going to spend that kind of money on a window, fiberglass frames strike me as the way to go. They are stronger than vinyl, expand and contract at the same rate as the window glass (thereby contributing to long-term window seal stability), and fiberglass is more eco-friendly than PVC.

I'm still researching various manufacturers, but it's a little difficult because fiberglass has such limited market penetration and representation. If only the building codes required better performing windows (i.e. triple-pane), competition would increase dramatically and prices would inevitably come down.

In the meantime...

Here is a link that might be useful: Serious Windows

• concerned_consumer
    13 years ago

Penguin Windows gets a "D" from the BBB and fined by the Attorney General of Washington State for deceptive business practices. How could ANYONE do business with these people?

Do your homework.

• janwad
    13 years ago

They do huge door to door selling blitzes here that must cost them a fortune. My son got an estimate that was, I kid you not, 4000 per window. The guy dropped it instantly to 'only' 3000.

Son threw him out.