Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with tempered glass code for replacement windows

Posted by lil_tee (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 11:56

Greetings!

I'm in the process of getting estimates for replacement windows (in Georgia) and I'm getting some differing opinions on whether or not some windows need to have tempered glass. I found the 2006 IRC Code -Selected Tempered Glass Requirements but need a little help interpreting some of it.

1. a 24"x48" window at the top of the stairs, 32" from the floor, on the same wall the stairs are on
    #10 in the code says "Glazing adjacent to stairways, landing and ramps within 36" horizontally of a walking surface when the exposed surface of the glass is less than 60" above the plane of the adjacent walking surface."
    Based on that, I think it needs to have tempered glass...is that correct? temper just the bottom sash or both sashes?

2. 36"x72" windows, about 8" from the floor, in the living room and kitchen
    #7 in the code says "...that meets ALL of the following: 7.1. Exposed area of an individual pane is greater than 9 square feet. 7.2. Bottom edge is less than 18" above the floor. 7.3. Top edge greater than 36" above the floor. 7.4. One or more walking surfaces within 36" horizontally of the glazing."
    I get the less than 18 and more than 36 items, but I'm not 100% clear on the other two. Is the 9 square feet for the entire window or each sash? Walking surfaces...is that interior such as the floors in the rooms, or exterior like sidewalks?

3. For the two items above, is there such a thing as being grandfathered in because this isn't a new construction?

I don't have kids or pets (or wild parties) :-) so I'm not too worried about anything happening, but I do want to do this correct and to code.

Many thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with tempered glass code for replacement windows

1. Check the meeting rail height on the stairwell window and if it above 60", not required for temp. Bottom sash is a yes.

2. 9 ft2 requirement is for the bottom sash. Each sash is treated as its own "window"

As long as you are okay with code minimums, I would say you are covered.

o

Thank you very much, windowsonwashington!

The meeting rail height in the stairwell window is less than 60" so I'll have both sashes tempered.

Now that I know each sash is considered to be its own window, mine definitely have less than 9 feet of exposed area. I'm getting prices for both tempered and not tempered, but was getting conflicting information so I wanted to know what was required versus optional.

Thanks again for the information!

o

Good luck.

o

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be back with a new post about the window options once all the quotes are in. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here