Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows

Posted by HeidiOldy (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 11:50

I am looking to replace all of my builder grade windows after 20 years of living in my home. Since my wooden windows are deteriorating, I have been told that Vinyl or Fiberglass windows are the way to go. I live in Georgia and the front of my home faces East so you can just imagine how much sun damage these windows have incurred over the years. I had someone come out to give me an estimate on Simonton Generation windows. The one thing that concerned me is they only replace the window and not the whole frame. Once they replace the window, they put a formed piece of aluminum around the window that matches the trim. Wondering how that will hold up and look throughout the years. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows

That's the standard way to install an insert/replacement window. You can consider a full frame tear out but considering the additional cost the only advantage, assuming there are no other issues, is you will gain a little more glass.

o
RE: Windows

+1

A well engineered and installed insert will yield you all of the the same thermal and structural performance of a full tear out.

The only difference, as Eco highlighted, is the slight loss of compared glass. The full tear out will normally be anywhere from 15 - 30% more depending on the carpentry and materials required.

Nothing about doing a full tear vs. insert is any more or less durable.

Vinyl vs. Fiberglass usually comes down to aesthetic preferences at the end of the day and there is a premium for the fiberglass in most cases.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here