Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement window - was the wrong size installed?

Posted by semily24 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 11:40

We recently purchased a 10-year old house with vinyl windows. One window was badly warped and din't operate properly, so yesterday we had it replaced with an aluminum Don Young window. I think the installers brought the wrong size window and tried to cover it up with extra trim. It also isn't hung square - the whole thing is slightly crooked. They're sending someone out today to look at it, but I fear they're just going to say this is how it's supposed to be. I'm hoping the more educated people here can help me get knowledgeable!

The opening is 46.75" x 58.5". The existing frame (not sure if that's the right term; but I mean the outer rim of the window) was very narrow, approximately 1/2".

The invoice says they replaced it with a 44" x 56" window. However, when I measure just the new window it is 41.5" wide. Then there's 2.25" - 2.75" of trim surrounding it (two layers, one that looks like a typical casement/frame for the window to rest in and then another wide, ribbed piece that looks like it's filling a gap). The trim goes from narrow to wider on the left side, and wider to narrower on the right.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement window - was the wrong size installed?

What type and material window was in there before? Was it a drywall return?

o

at first glance it looks fine to me. the extra trim is a common upgrade with drywall returns.
as far as being out of square, its very likely that the actual opening itself is out of square and by inserting the window square and plumb, it looks crooked. this happens often but after explaining this to homeowners they understand.

o

+1. To determine whether or not the unit is installed square, you can check the reveals. Open each sash slightly, and you should have a consistent gap all the way across.
It is hard to get a great perspective on the other issues from that one pic, but it looks fine from what I can see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here