Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bri0822

Andersen and Better Business Bureau

bri0822
12 years ago

I'm very close to having new Andersen T400 (tilt/wash) windows installed in my house. But I just noticed that they (the Andersen Company) has received 108 BBB complaints in the past 3 years. This surprised me as I have heard so much about Andersen's good reputation. Does anyone know why they have so many complaints?

I'm now starting to consider if a premium vinyl window would be a better choice than the T400. The most important things to me are finding a window that is durable (no water leaks, warping, etc.) and thermally efficient. I've been seeing lifetime warranties on some vinyl windows (Softlite, Simonton but not on Andersens. I'm willing to pay for a good window, but I'm having a really hard time finding good info. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Here is a link that might be useful: Andersen BBB

Comments (5)

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Quite possibly they have them many complaints because by far and away they sell the most window units of any manufacturer. I know it was a long time ago but approx in 2000 they sold 85% of the new construction windows sold in the United States. Now I am not suggesting they are the best product, they make a good window that will perform satisfactorily in most conditions if the specs are correct. If your looking to decide between Andersen and a Premium Vinyl first thing you need to decide is if your using new construction or full frame units or a replacement or pocket insert type of window.

• bri0822
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks millworkman. I am having my house resided and also replacing all windows, using new construction windows (most double-hung, a few casements). I now have builder's grade vinyl which have water leaks and are warped considerably. This made me think that the wood clad T400s would be a good direction to go for the new windows. But then I started thinking that even though vinyl clad, the wood windows would be more susceptible to moisture damage at some point. Do you have a sense if the T400s or high-end vinyl would better? If vinyl, can you recommend any reputable brands. (I've been looking at Simonton but seeing mixed reviews.) (My house is in eastern PA on a hilltop, so we get a fair amount of wind driven rain).

• millworkman
    12 years ago

If vinyl Simonton is good, also look at Softlite, Gorrel or Polaris. Ultimately the decision is yours, you will find some people prefer Vinyl were some will prefer Wood(i have always been a wood proponent).

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

If you look at the link you provided, you'll see that they have an A+ rating in spite of the 108 complaints, which were resolved.

The rating is based on several things. Per their site:
    Reason for Rating

BBB rating is based on 16 factors. Get the details about the factors considered.

Factors that raised Andersen Corporation's rating include:

Length of time business has been operating.
    Complaint volume filed with BBB for business of this size.
    Response to 108 complaint(s) filed against business.
    Resolution of complaint(s) filed against business.
    BBB has sufficient background information on this business.

• websnooper
    12 years ago

....amount of money spent with BBB....
    ....amount of advertising purchased....

oops

You didn't want the truth of the matter did you?

http://www.bbbroundup.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo8kfV9kONw

Here is a link that might be useful: BBB Scam