Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexh1000

Patio door install questions

alexh1000
13 years ago

Hi,

Added this to my original thread but no one saw it...

I'd like to replace a slider with a patio door and I may have it done but I'd like to clear up some questions -

My current slider is installed w/o using a nailing fin and there is a stucco bumpout. Based on what you see in the picture, would you specify a replacement unit the same size (96"Hx72"W)?

Some stucco damage is inevitable and that's fine but if I have to rip off the bumpout and/or lots of stucco I may rethink this. I assume when a unit is specified as 96"x72" this is the outside dimensions of the unit. I don't really know what my rough opening size is but I'll pull off the casing to verify at least 1/2" framing clearance all around.

The "jamb" on the current unit is proud of the drywall about 1/2" and the casing trim butts against it. Obviously this is not standard for interior doors/windows. I suppose you can specify the jamb to be whatever width you want so if the jamb is flush with the drywall a standard casing placement (3/16" jamb reveal) could be used?

As you can see from the pic below the bottom track is much narrower than the jamb. A french door will have a threshold more like a standard door. Would you expect that the tile would have to be cut to allow for a wider threshold (subfloor is slab)?

None of the websites give much detail on the threshold so I'll have to see one in person to verify.

Thanks

Comments (2)