Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
measuring for shutters

Posted by jaaa (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 10 at 11:30

I'd like to add some exterior shutters to my windows. I was able to find some shutters that are the same length as my windows but I wasn't sure how to determine which size width I will need. My windows are 30 inches wide. Would 12 inch or 15 inch shutters work well or do I need to custom order a different width? The guy at the siding shop wasn't very helpful so I was hoping to get some advice on here. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: measuring for shutters

Are you looking for functional or these to be decoration shutters? What would these shutters ideally be made of?

o

The shutters would be for decorative purposes only and will be made of vinyl.

o

Ok then, generally your height would be slightly shorter than the window height and the width would be a standard available width around 14", 15" or 16" which ever is a stock width. Unless you have a narrow window or a corner you would not need anything custom.

o

I read they should be 2" longer than the length of your window.

o

I would tend to disagree , if you consider operable shutters they are hung on the exterior window casing and close inside the casing and just above the sill. If the shutters are 2" taller than the window there technically be no way for them to operate(or simulate operable since they are for decoration)

o

I just posted this website in another post about shutters. One man's opinions...but it's pretty thorough.

Here is a link that might be useful: Correct shutter placement

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here