Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zargunn

Urgent question re installation (Pros' opinion needed)

zargunn
9 years ago

Good morning all:

We are having replacement vinyl windows installed right now. There is a significant gap above some of the windows that have been inserted (pocket insert install) - it is pretty visible in the picture.

Does that look ok to you all?? I am being told by the installer that foam will go around the new windows but I am still a little leery. A good few of the windows do not seem to have such wide gaps if any at all. Thanks a lot in advance!

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

If the openings are racked (i.e. out of square) you will have some gaps.

Tough to tell from that picture because there is some reflection but if it is close to tight on the other side, that can be normal.

The installer is correct that foam and some interior trim will close the gap and trim it out.

Without knowing the install or seeing it firsthand, it is tough to lend a finite ruling on it though.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

It looks from the picture like you do not have any stops on the interior side of the head jamb. Not uncommon to see a gap there when that is the case. It should be foamed and then some type of trim added to the interior to cover the gap, or perhaps that head expander will be extended up and caulked.
    Ultimately it could be a good install or a bad one, it is really impossible to tell from one picture. Not a major red flag in and of itself though.
    The windows should be installed square (even reveals), properly secured, sealed/flashed against air and water infiltration, and have a clean and professional installed appearance when all is completed.

• zargunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! The gap is all along the top. I understand it is hard to tell based on the pictures... But many thanks in any case!

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

Btw, when I say "even reveals", I am referring to the sash to frame interface, not frame to opening. As WoW stated, you will see inconsistency from side to side between the new frame and old on MOST installs, as the existing units are typically racked (out of square).

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

When you have an older home, the opening can be way out of square. When you insert the new window into the out of square opening, you are going to see a gap between the new window and the actual opening which can create an allusion that the window is the wrong size or not installed correctly.
    The window is inserted square and plumb but the out of square opening makes it look otherwise.
    Just spray foam the gap and reinstall the stops and you will be fine. If the gap is on the larger size, they can always use the head expander that comes with the window.

• Karateguy
    9 years ago

Agree with the other guys. Can't give a stamp of approval without more info, but things look fine from the picture. Have to admit that I'm not a fan of head expanders though.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Don't care for them either karateguy.

Thats why I hate seeing wood windows without a head jamb stop.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH