Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacement glass in existing frame

Posted by gwbr54 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 13, 10 at 11:07

I usually lurk on a different forum, but I have a question that I hope you can help with. We have two large fixed glass windows (about 5-ft x 4-ft) above our front door. The frames are good, and are mahogany, like the rest of the window frames in the house. The windows do not leak water or air, but nonetheless, there is a cold draft off of them in the winter.

I suspect that the best solution would be motorized cellular blinds to cover the windows in the winter, but my husband thinks replacing the glass in the windows would help. We currently have 3/8-in. double with low-E coating, and a glass company could replace with 5/8-in. low-E. We live in New England, and these windows are sheltered, but face north. My question is whether this would be worthwhile. For example, when replacing the glass in an existing frame, how does the installer ensure an air tight seal?

Thanks so much for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacement glass in existing frame

Do I understand your posting that the current window does have low-e?

If that is the case, there is absolutely zero benefit in replacing the existing glass with an newer glass pack with low-e and/or argon.

The cold draft that you feel off the window is not air leakage but is what we refer to as a convective loop. The warm air rises, looses its heat to the glass, cools, and sinks. That is the air movement that you are feeling. The best thing you could do would be to put a cellular or thermal blind in front of that window.

You may tell you husband that he is wrong. Do it gently.

o

Thanks, windowsonwashington. The gentle telling will be key! So the extra 1/4-in. will not be noticeable in cutting down on convection?

Too bad in a way - I think it'll cost me same amount of $$ for the motorized shades, and for most of the year, I'd rather have bare windows.

o

The glass width that you have is more ideal for an Argon filled window but the ROI calculations will be so far out that you would be wasting your money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here